April 15th 1984

Bypassblade

mentioned it to a punk mate i know online, didnt know he was into magic back in the day lol, said he met tommy a couple of times, also was mates with debbie mcgee, but said paul daniels was a dick lol

Like that needs confirmation? :roll:

It's hard to think of a better way to go if you're a comedian, although to be there on that stage and unable to call for help must have been (albeit very briefly) terrible. To be well enough to perform and make people laugh right up to the moment of your death does show what a brilliant talent he had.

My dad was one of the people who laughed as soon as he clapped eyes on Tommy Cooper. He didn't have to say a word. Raised an eyebrow and my dad howled with laughter, and would keep laughing long after his act had finished. My dad is not the sort of person who laughs all of the time (although he's got to have a pretty good sense of humour- he's a Wolves fan!) but mention Tommy Cooper or the scene from Amy and Amiability in the third Black Adder series where Miranda Richardson is shooting the squirrels out of the trees and the giggling starts.

If we could bottle that sort of talent it would certainly improve some of the thoroughly uninteresting acts that are around today. He's one of the people for whom it is very simple to say that the world was better for his existence and diminished for his loss, and I doubt that there would be many people who would disagree since his act would offend nobody.

It's hard to think of a better way to go if you're a comedian, although to be there on that stage and unable to call for help must have been (albeit very briefly) terrible. To be well enough to perform and make people laugh right up to the moment of your death does show what a brilliant talent he had.

My dad was one of the people who laughed as soon as he clapped eyes on Tommy Cooper. He didn't have to say a word. Raised an eyebrow and my dad howled with laughter, and would keep laughing long after his act had finished. My dad is not the sort of person who laughs all of the time (although he's got to have a pretty good sense of humour- he's a Wolves fan!) but mention Tommy Cooper or the scene from Amy and Amiability in the third Black Adder series where Miranda Richardson is shooting the squirrels out of the trees and the giggling starts.

If we could bottle that sort of talent it would certainly improve some of the thoroughly uninteresting acts that are around today. He's one of the people for whom it is very simple to say that the world was better for his existence and diminished for his loss, and I doubt that there would be many people who would disagree since his act would offend nobody.

Yea, Tommy never resorted to racist or other jokes. He was just funny > a natural. Apparently he never really understood this, and 'off stage' felt very uncomfortable about it.

I never saw this, although I knew it had happened. It reminds me of a Dutch author who was giving a reading for the radio, from one moment to the next he stopped reading, the host was confused and jokingly said it was the alcohol. It turned out to be a severe aneurysm.

Suffice to say the host was off work for quite some time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching this too, I remember that the curtains closed on him and we thought he'd come stumbling back on any second, it seemed an age before there was an announcement, and even when there was it seemed as though it was a joke and he was gonna burst through the curtains and do his trademark laugh. It was quite shocking really.

Incidentally if anyone is interested, there is a portrayal of him on over Easter, played by David Threlfall who is padded out and forced to wear size 14 shoes to look like him.It'c alled 'Tommy' and is on Easter Monday I think.