Sheffield Cycling on the increase

We can prove that it is a barrier and that it would thus increase danger.

Go on then, you prove to me that that the requirement of proper training for cyclists will make the roads more dangerous....I need to be convinced.

Regards

Doom

Go on then, you prove to me that that the requirement of proper training for cyclists will make the roads more dangerous....I need to be convinced.

You refuse to accept the barriers to entry argument, what more can I do.

You also continue to refuse to explain how this might apply to children. Please explain. How can someone learn to ride as a child? And use their bike to get about as a child.

Because you keep throwing the barriers to entry argument out there as an excuse against proper training for cyclists.

It's a random argument (excuse) against cyclists getting proper training. You can't prove that proper training/licensing would make the roads less safe, because it's never been done in this country.

Common sense tells me that proper training to cyclists would make them safer...

Regards

Doom

I do understand your frustrations, when you're stuck in traffic jams it can be frustrating to witness cyclists whizzing passed you not waiting their turn in line. Obviously you need your "stick" to hit back and vent your frustrations, and you do seem to be doing a good job of getting it off your chest,

And I suppose your office is fitted with such filters as well, and that you wear a mask whilst going out for lunch or walking from the car park?

What point are you trying to make now?

Interestingly enough a recent study showed that heavy exercise in polluted air is actually better for you than light exercise in the same air. Although avoiding the air altogether would be best.

You 'drive along', perhaps you mean 'slowly crawl'.

You don't do that on your commute I assume, unless you work on the Monsal trail.

Actually thinking about my daily commute, even if I were Will Hoy it would take me twice as long if I ditched the car and went by bike. So that would be exposing myself to the pollution of the streets for twice the length of time.

I'm not aware that commuting by bike means I would spend less time in the office, unless you refer to time taken in hospital wards after being hit by a bus. But my office isn't near polluted streets and has airconditioning, as do many offices these days so it really wouldn't matter.

You refuse to accept the barriers to entry argument, what more can I do.

I refuse to accept it because you can't prove it.

There is no argument......Someone who receives proper training WILL be safer than someone with no training.

I'll leave it at that because I know you can't disprove what I've said.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 27-03-2014 at 13:14 ----------

I do understand your frustrations, when you're stuck in traffic jams it can be frustrating to witness cyclists whizzing passed you not waiting their turn in line. Obviously you need your "stick" to hit back and vent your frustrations, and you do seem to be doing a good job of getting it off your chest,

I travel to work at 7am in the morning.....I find myself overtaking most cyclists at that time, although the odd one does go past me when I've stopped for the red light. :thumbsup:

Regards

Doom

I refuse to accept it because you can't prove it.

There is no argument......Someone who receives proper training WILL be safer than someone with no training.

I'll leave it at that because I know you can't disprove what I've said.

That's easily fixed.

Here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cycling+gets+safer+as+numbers+increase&rlz=1C1OPRB_enGB529GB529&oq=cycling+gets+safer+as+numbers+increase&aqs=chrome..69i57.8264j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Enjoy.

I travel to work at 7am in the morning.....I find myself overtaking most cyclists at that time, although the odd one does go past me when I've stopped for the red light. :thumbsup:

Regards

Doom

At 7 my commute would be marginally quicker by car.

At 0730 it's quicker by bike.

After that it's significantly quicker by bike.

Obviously it depends on traffic levels, distance and the type of roads involved.

---------- Post added 27-03-2014 at 13:23 ----------

Actually thinking about my daily commute, even if I were Will Hoy it would take me twice as long if I ditched the car and went by bike. So that would be exposing myself to the pollution of the streets for twice the length of time.

I'm not aware that commuting by bike means I would spend less time in the office, unless you refer to time taken in hospital wards after being hit by a bus. But my office isn't near polluted streets and has airconditioning, as do many offices these days so it really wouldn't matter.

There are plenty of people who's commute by bike would be impossible or take longer. I'm happy to accept that sometimes commuting by car makes sense. I do it myself when it makes sense

If your journey were quicker, as mine is, then you'd spend less time commuting (not in the office). I save 20 minutes a day by using the bike compared to either the car or tram.

Your office is in a field? And the air conditioning means that no air comes in from outside, resulting in you all suffocating?

So don't know your subject then.

Did you know 41 cyclist are killed for the same number of miles covered. Those seriously injured is far higher.

As you're so concerned about the relative risks of various forms of transport I take it you're going to abandon your car and stick to public transport from now on.