Sheffield Cycling on the increase

Despite a disappointing flat picture across the whole UK, Sheffield is named as one of the cities seeing a strong increase in the number of commuting cyclists.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/26/commuter-cycling-fails-census-data-uk

A number of other cities recorded notable rise in the number of bike commuters, with increases of 80% or more in Brighton, Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield, and a 65% boost in Cardiff.

I actually tried it some years back.

The cycle home, from Crookesmoor to Hallam proved too much of a climb and that was in good weather.

That was the last time I tried and it will remain such.

I'm quite lucky with my cycle route (when I do cycle), most of it is Hillsborough to the Parkway area, which is probably the flattest stretch in Sheffield.

As Jeremy Clarkson said on his program about cycling. If you can afford a car use it. It is far safer than using a bike.

As Jeremy Clarkson said on his program about cycling. If you can afford a car use it. It is far safer than using a bike.

But you get stuck in traffic jams.

I was a keen cyclist myself, but having seen how much trouble cyclists cause by holding up traffic, just cycle occasionally now, not being the selfish type.

Far better to drive somewhere you like, then go for a walk in my opinion (just as healthy too) ... pedal bike gets used for quick trips to the local shop using the back roads. :)

You do realise the some items on Top Gear are done as a joke? Hammond is a very keen cyclist as he demonstrated on the commuter challenge (which he won) James May rides a Brompton, he's a bit of a Brommie fan, there's a lot of interview with him on the web about his passion for them

Here are some JC quotes. The guy is much more astute and intelligent than his Top Gear persona.

.... best of all: there are no bloody cars cluttering the place up. Almost everyone goes almost everywhere on a bicycle.

longer piece on Copenhagen

"In Copenhagen it’s just a pleasant way of getting about. Nobody wears a helmet. Nobody wears high-visibility clothing. You just wear what you need to be wearing at your destination. For girls that appears to be very short skirts. And nobody rides their bike as if they’re in the Tour de France. This would make them sweaty and unattractive, so they travel just fast enough to maintain their balance.

"The upshot is a city that works. It’s pleasing to look at. It’s astonishingly quiet. It’s safe. And no one wastes half their life looking for a parking space. I’d live there in a heartbeat."

JC on taking up cycling

"There’s only one way they can be defeated. And that’s for normal people to start riding bicycles. We need to swell their ranks with moderates, people who ride a bike because they’ve had a drink and because taxis are too expensive. Ordinary people who ride in jeans and T-shirts and with no stupid helmet.

---------- Post added 26-03-2014 at 18:39 ----------

Incidently rode down to Harrison's today to pick up some film. The upgraded cycle track alongside Hanover Way is looking impressive. Its the first time I've seen something in Sheffield that looks like the Dutch may have built it. Still niggles at the junctions and street furniture in the middle of it but its an improvement and so much better than the mess they created on Penistone Rd.

some more news here

http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2014/02/06/streets-ahead-cycling-improvements/

http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2014/03/19/good-news-sheffield-to-put-cycling-first-and-cycle-audits-for-any-scheme-that-alters-the-public-highway/

for some of us driving or catching a bus is out of the question (cost mostly), so cycling to get around is the only option.

I just wish the roads where in a better condition the number of punctures i get on a monthly basis is on the rise.

the only bright spot is the roads they have resurfaced are brilliant! not a bump or a raised grate to throw you off.:love::love:

be good cure for obesity in car drivers :D

Though cyclings far cheaper, and, in rush hour traffic, far faster than a car.

Cars are safer than cycles in actual road incidents, but in terms of obesity, fitness and general health, cycling is clearly a safer option than driving a car.

I was a keen cyclist myself, but having seen how much trouble cyclists cause by holding up traffic, just cycle occasionally now, not being the selfish type.

Far better to drive somewhere you like, then go for a walk in my opinion (just as healthy too) ... pedal bike gets used for quick trips to the local shop using the back roads. :)

That's my thoughts on the issue.

I don't think cycling on main roads is safe, there's just too much traffic these days.

If I get the bike out it's to ride it on the Trans Pennine, the health side of things is taken care of by going for a run, so I can avoid mixing with cars.

I just hope cyclists are a bit better than the guy driving a motorbike on the Brook Hill roundabout late this afternoon. I'm not quite sure what he was doing, but I was just about to pull out onto the roundabout only to see his motorbike on it's side in the lane I required.

Regards

Doom