Free range meat in sheffield?

Wasteney & Sons on Main Street, Grenoside is a proper old fashioned butcher who even do their own slaughtering on the premises. They also dry age the beef for 4 weeks.

They know the provenance of the meat they sell and it's very cheap too, especially considering the high quality

Ooo I feel a detour coming up - thanks.

There's a farmers market in town today - at the top / middle of the moor. whirlow farm have a stall, as do several liconlshire farms - quite a few were free range, and all appeared to be higher welfare and good quality.

there's a couple of higher quality butchers in the moor market too - and they can all tell you about the meat they are selling - don't assume that it's all low quality clearance meat on show - i've had some really very good quality lamb, mutton goat and beef from various stalls, most all very local and well cared for / well hung / expertly butchered - and all for far less than supermarket tray junk.

There's a farmers market in town today - at the top / middle of the moor. whirlow farm have a stall, as do several liconlshire farms - quite a few were free range, and all appeared to be higher welfare and good quality.

there's a couple of higher quality butchers in the moor market too - and they can all tell you about the meat they are selling - don't assume that it's all low quality clearance meat on show - i've had some really very good quality lamb, mutton goat and beef from various stalls, most all very local and well cared for / well hung / expertly butchered - and all for far less than supermarket tray junk.

Is this Crawshaw ?

Is this Crawshaw ?

most emphatically not.

i'm not particularly a fan of crawshaws. they are focused on selling bulk quantities of cheaper meat, of fairly average quality based on what i've tried from them.

the one thing in their favour is that you can buy a notionally better cut of meat for the price of a lesser cut - their whole sirloin for £20 is good enough value, as it makes 4 good sized roasting joints, but it's not by any means a great piece of meat.

for me, they are pretty much on a level with the supermarkets quality, and i doubt the provenance of the meat is any better.

Waterall's (i think!) and a couple of others on that row offer much better meat for a only a little more than the crawshaws price. The variety of cuts are much better (i'd far rather have a smaller piece of well aged shin beef than a big salmon cut for the same price), and the meat is much better quality.

The porterhouse steak from them i had was easily the best steak i've eaten in the UK, cut exactly to my requirements.

Also, one stall is half meat, half fish, and they have some very good produce - especially on the fish side - the conwy mussels are the best money can buy - and the red bream i had yesterday was phenomenal - fresh as it comes, and again prepped to my requirements for a tremendous price - a wildly undereaten atlantic / local fish.

I have to say Wateralls' meat pie are good. They know what it should taste like.

I saw a new Crawshaw store in the Moor. So I was wondering really.

Nice to know though.

it's only my opinion - lots of people are big fans of theirs.

I've tried their butcher in hillsbo' too - and again, i'm underwhelmed by them. the cooked meat is perfectly nice enough, but to me, they still feel more like a supermarket chain outlet than real quality butchery.

the quality of the beef and chicken in Pearsons in hillsborough high street is far better for my money - their chicken, and especially their capon is tremendous - tastes better, and goes further. Crawshaws i've tried have looked plump, but shrank in the oven and tasted of very little.

That said, if you spatchcock it, you can roast a cheap crawshaw chicken in 40 minutes, and keep it pretty tender still....