Husband just been knocked off his bike

I generally ride alone, on my commute to work. Riding in the centre of the carriageway makes it much harder not to be seen.

I just stated, I do leave a safe distance.

Only a safe distance in your opinion, not a safe distance according to the highway code. Are you as forgiving on other users if they decide to break the highway code even if they considered it safe to do so?

Again, I never said I leave inches.

True, but you said that the cyclist won't mind how you over take as long as you miss them. I gave an example that contradicted your claim.

What if you're riding alone ?

You should still cycle a good way out from the curb.

I generally ride alone, on my commute to work. Riding in the centre of the carriageway makes it much harder not to be seen.

Surely you have more change of being hit though with cars under and overtaking you ? Cars would have to pass you MUCH closer than what we've been talking about.

Edited by byeo

Surely you have more change of being hit though with cars under and overtaking you ? Cars would have to pass you MUCH closer than what we've been talking about.

The prevalence of SMIDSY type accidents means it's better to prioritise being seen and very few car drivers actually want to run cyclists over even if they don't always appreciate the dangers of some of their actions. If someone is cycling in the middle of their lane there won't be room for a car to undertake nor to overtake unless another lane is traffic free - in which case there's no reason not use all of it.

The prevalence of SMIDSY type accidents means it's better to prioritise being seen and very few car drivers actually want to run cyclists over even if they don't always appreciate the dangers of some of their actions. If someone is cycling in the middle of their lane there won't be room for a car to undertake nor to overtake unless another lane is traffic free - in which case there's no reason not use all of it.

Unless the person is in the wrong lane.

But, like I said, how is it ok to pass someone on a bike close if they are going down the middle on a carriageway yet can't on a long winding lane ? Cars don't move into the other lane on a carriageway just to pass a bike who's riding in the middle. You may not be able to due to traffic numbers.

Perhaps I should use the word lane to avoid confusion.

I'm not advocating riding in the middle of the road.

But neither is it safe to ride in the gutter as you were suggesting.

I can't ride in the position I'd actually choose due to the tram track being in that spot, so I ride to the left of the tram track (which I happen to following for a lot of my commute).

(Centre of the carriageway is the same as centre of the lane, for a single lane road, which is what we are discussing, it would be wrong of course for a 2 lane road).

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 15:48 ----------

Unless the person is in the wrong lane.

We aren't talking about 2 lane roads though. We're discussing roads with a single lane in each carriageway, 1 lane going each way.

So nobody can undertake if you are cycling in the centre of the lane (and carriageway). And they should only overtake if they can correctly use the other carriageway.

But, like I said, how is it ok to pass someone on a bike close if they are going down the middle on a carriageway yet can't on a long winding lane ?

It's never okay to pass them close.

Cars don't move into the other lane on a carriageway just to pass a bike who's riding in the middle. You may not be able to due to traffic numbers.

Then they shouldn't be overtaking. It's not complicated, don't overtake if you can't do it correctly!

Edited by Cyclone

I just want to say thank you to the drivers and others who stopped to help my husband who has just been knocked off his bike on the roundabout at the bottom of Halifax rd . The taxi driver said he didn't see him even though he was well lit up and wearing reflective gear .Fortunately apart from a cut arm and being shaken he seems ok . I hope it stays that way . Drivers really need to be more aware that there are others on the roads ! Thank you again to all who helped :)

I bet you wish that you had never said owt.

Funnily enough this morning I was thinking something on those lines lol But healthy debate is good especially if it causes people to think .::huh:

I have to say, the drivers on Manchester Road (B6088 I think) are, mainly, quite good at overtaking, so thank you if anyone takes that route :)

Is it not safer to be tucked in the edge rather than sticking out ?

Absolutely not. Read Cyclecraft, for example.

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 20:34 ----------

BIB - I doubt they care how I overtake as long as I don't hit them.

OBIB - But you all harp on about you can only overtake when it's safe. If it's safe then I can pass if they are 16 in a row or 160 in a row. I give about 6ft (when possible) between me and the pedal pusher regardless of if I am in my lane or the other lane.

If you have a clear lane to change into, use it. If you don't, don't overtake.

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 20:35 ----------

ITYM "in the centre of the lane"?

as a driver/cyclist in sheffield i have seen many sights but some things seem weird;

* i believe we should take a leaf out of a basic h + s quotation that we should protect ourselves and others ,

*i see many cycle lanes in sheffield which just seem to randomly stop/finish,

* i see many cycle lanes with parked cars in them ! the ones around the hallamshire hospital ,

*the state of the highways is pathetic for cyclists/drivers alike,

* we all make mistakes so learn from them,

* that said i daily have to brake sharp as pedestrians texting/ipoding/etc just walk straight in to the road without a care in the world. does that make me a bad driver ! im in a big silver/purple transit and seem to be invisible to many.

lets not be haters lets just be careful

So what you're saying is that you don't know how to safely overtake.

Can't see as I said that, cyclist shouldn't be greedy and hog the road, there is no need for it, it causes accidents, thats what I'm saying. Hopes you read the road better than you read peoples post.:loopy: