How to Park and Cycle to work?

hi forum --

Could anyone help to suggest a way to do a combined car and cycle commute to West Street from the direction of Hillsborough?

I'm thinking of driving into town on either Penistone Road or through Middlewood and then parking somewhere, getting a folding bike out of the boot and cycling into the city center.

I'm not sure where would be the best place to park though, what do you think would be the best location that is free, gives a nice bike ride, and a moderate (but not too strenuous) amount of daily exersize?

How much do you want to spend on parking?

jb

From Hillsborough to West Street I'd recommend parking outside your house or in your garage, getting the bike, and cycling to West Street.

It will honestly be faster than anything that involves driving the car, and I'm sure you know that as you head towards town you will be faced with restricted parking zones.

I wouldn't bother with the folding bike, the time you spend faffing about will have wasted more time that you could have simply been cycling closer to work.

I cycle from Wadsley, through Hillsborough and down onto St Mary's Gate, it takes <20 minutes. West Street from Hillsborough would probably be <15.

The only 'difficult' bit is up to the uni roundabout, so just take it slow (a bike with many gears makes this easier than a folding bike).

From Hillsborough to West Street I'd recommend parking outside your house or in your garage, getting the bike, and cycling to West Street.

It will honestly be faster than anything that involves driving the car, and I'm sure you know that as you head towards town you will be faced with restricted parking zones.

I wouldn't bother with the folding bike, the time you spend faffing about will have wasted more time that you could have simply been cycling closer to work.

I cycle from Wadsley, through Hillsborough and down onto St Mary's Gate, it takes <20 minutes. West Street from Hillsborough would probably be <15.

The only 'difficult' bit is up to the uni roundabout, so just take it slow (a bike with many gears makes this easier than a folding bike).

In all fairness the OP never stated they live in Hillsborough, simply that they'll be coming from that direction. They could even be coming off the M1 at J36.

jb

True, I jumped to an unwarranted conclusion.

Parking wise, it's all zoned in Hillsborough, but lower walkley is free...

Or towards the middlewood tram stop.

sorry, should have said I'm driving in from Penistone, which is too far to cycle the whole way (my friend did it once but only after training for months!).

Ideally I want to park for free and have a slightly longer bike ride than parking centrally -- surely our council has made some provision for this to encourage us to keep our cars out of the city center ... ?

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 16:22 ----------

(actually I suppose the logical place for mass park and cycling from the M1 would be the sheffield wednesday car park on non match days, I wonder if they have a system to allow that?)

Maybe park up in Hillsborough Park (the space they use for matchdays) and use the cycle path at the side of Penistone Road into town. Its pretty flat down to Kelham Island and then weave towards West Bar and you've done it. Traffic free for the most part.

Or get training and take the Trans Pennine Trail all the way from Penistone :) Not on the folded bike though

This.

_______

For a mass plan, the parking areas would have to be strategically placed along peak routes to get the advantage and in combination with the flattish areas so cyclist are not fatigued. Meadowhall has a bike rack with rented bikes from http://www.bikeandgo.co.uk

oh no -- they have put parking meters in hillsbourgh park now ! Does our council really want to crush out any hope of mass car/bike replacement ever happening from the north west ... ?

Edited by john.conner

Well done for thinking about cycling part of your journey to work, Sheffield would be a much nicer place if more people would & could do that. As for parking you'll be fine to park on residential streets by middlewood. Hillsborough is only permitted on the streets closest to shops. I think you'd have to sit in too much traffic if you were to park in Walkley. Good luck with cycling, I commuted everyday by bike before I went on maternity & loved it. Nothing like whizzing past everyone sat in their metal boxes on pennistone road :-)

You could y park on Old Penistone Road, or Livesey Street (but you'd need to be early), Herries Road, or further afield in Oughtibridge and cycle through Beeley Wood