Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

I'm looking for some help/advice:

I got a letter from a company G24Ltd for parking at the B&M car park in Hillsbrough for longer than 120mins the letter has a picture of my car entering and leavening the car park

Iv been told that this letter is a scare tactic and not a legal thing iv also been told to ignore it and not pay It the charge is for £90 to be payed within 28days G24 have got my car and address details via the DVLA

Is this also allowed? any one else got a letter like or the same as this?

I got a letter from a company G24Ltd for parking at the B&M car park in Hillsbrough for longer than 120mins the letter has a picture of my car entering and leavening the car park

Iv been told that this letter is a scare tactic and not a legal thing iv also been told to ignore it and not pay It the charge is for £90 to be payed within 28days G24 have got my car and address details via the DVLA

It is allowed and it is not a scare tactic at all. Do not ignore it! G24 are on our common customers so to speak. If you would like to use our service then please feel free to do so

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 22:30 ----------

Parking eye Court claim latest figures are here from an FOI

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/parkingeye_claims_filed_nov_2013#incoming-551114

This information is posted up on a parking ticket group on FB whos only advice is to ignore and you get removed for posting such information

People wonder why they get default ccjs and court claims when they follow advice like from this local chap (facebook post)

Paul Slack Some of the people working for or with these parking scam companies are signing up to push the rubbish about not ignoring these scumbags. I promise you, if you totally ignore everything they send, they give up. Its hard to not respond sometimes but dont. These are not fines. They are parking "charges" and can never be described as a fine. You have no obligation to pay or even respond.
Edited by kirkbylad

I had exactly the same, I passed it on to kirkbylad, and for a small fee he sorted it. Ignoring it wasn't an option.

For those who are not aware the is coming up in the next few months a court case involving a motorist in an appeal against Parking Eye at the Court of Appeal. This is basically going to rule if Parking eyes charges are commercially justified or not. It will have a massive impact an everything Parking wise.

This is going to be the first Court of Appeal ruling on these charges.

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 22:47 ----------

I had exactly the same, I passed it on to kirkbylad, and for a small fee he sorted it. Ignoring it wasn't an option.

And I was only to happy to help, unfortunately many people have ignored and ended up with ruined credit files as a result (not saying this will happen in all cases (it wont) but its hard to try and change peoples mindsets

Edited by kirkbylad

Kirkby lad, my wife got a parking charge notice from Excel for parking in Decathlon in jan, got the letter in July. Have heard different theories about whether it should be payed or not, any advice would be most appreciated !

Kirkby lad, my wife got a parking charge notice from Excel for parking in Decathlon in jan, got the letter in July. Have heard different theories about whether it should be payed or not, any advice would be most appreciated !

Hello

Sorry for the slow reply!!

No you most certainly should not pay it, if you would like to use our service please click on our link and we happily sort out Excel for you :hihi:

For those who are not aware the is coming up in the next few months a court case involving a motorist in an appeal against Parking Eye at the Court of Appeal. This is basically going to rule if Parking eyes charges are commercially justified or not. It will have a massive impact an everything Parking wise.

Parking Eye are basically going to ask the court if they will make it legal for them to create a business out of these charges??

So it will not matter that parking eye will not have incurred any loss, because they will be allowed to make profit???

Parking Eye are basically going to ask the court if they will make it legal for them to create a business out of these charges??

So it will not matter that parking eye will not have incurred any loss, because they will be allowed to make profit???

Not quite

It is the motorist appealing and the basic premise of the appeal is that although the judge found the charge to have elements of a penalty the was commercial justification to the charge.

The motorist through http://www.oeclaw.co.uk/barristers/553/saad-hossain (QC) is going to argue that the can be no commercial justification in consumer contracts, it would lay open the door to lots of people being penalised through companies.

We will have the hearing date by the end of this week.

I have put the judgement here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zzz1aso8p7opff/Judgment_1905%20OCRD_2.pdf

& the leave to appeal document created by the judge: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrrlzq8u8vohx9h/Reasons%20to%20appeal-N460.pdf

Edited by kirkbylad

@ Kirkbylad - what's your view on how the appeal will go?

From reading the judgement it looks like the Judge is a real fanboy of Parking Eye! He's almost giving a ruling on the 'right amount' of a profit a company can make.... and what he's not considered is that the accounts he has viewed do not show the effect of legitimising the current level of unpaid invoices - so future profits would only increase :(

@ Kirkbylad - what's your view on how the appeal will go?

From reading the judgement it looks like the Judge is a real fanboy of Parking Eye! He's almost giving a ruling on the 'right amount' of a profit a company can make.... and what he's not considered is that the accounts he has viewed do not show the effect of legitimising the current level of unpaid invoices - so future profits would only increase :(

That is an impossible question to answer.

---------- Post added 20-08-2014 at 20:01 ----------

Well we now have the Appeal date.

The date for the hearing of this case at the Court of Appeal is now in the public domain, and has been set for Monday 23rd/Tuesday 24th February 2015. It is extremely unlikely that Judgment will be given at the conclusion of the hearing, but will be handed down a few days later.

Anyone who has a PE court case before that date, should, if the Judge is minded to follow the original ruling, try to get their case stayed until the result of the appeal is known