Wood for shelving

I wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere in Sheffield to buy good quality wood for shelving to be fitted in the alcoves either side of a living room chimney breast?

I wanted dark colour wood (solid not veneer) and for the shelving to attach to the wall with thin wooden piping to sit on top of in the same colour. The only place I've found that does this sort of thing is B&Q and all they offer is normal pine. http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storage-shelving/shelving/shelf_board/-specificproducttype-wooden_shelf_board/B-and-Q-Value-Pine-Shelfboard-W-1750-D-300mm-9297178?skuId=9306874

I'm going to have to get a handyman to cut the wood and fit the shelving for me, I just want to buy good quality wood and not just some thin pine boards. Is there anywhere in Sheffield that does this sort of thing? I dont want free standing shelving units in the alcolves, but properly fitted attractive shelving.

hi why don,t to have pine and stain it and also make them floating to them chunky ta jeff

Lavers sells other types of raw wood, my husband made some lovely oak shelves, not cheap though

Thanks jsmith- I did think this actually. Do you recommend anything? We have pine furniture in our bedroom which is darker and more rustic looking but not sure on the best stain/varnish to achieve this look. Bit scared of doing it and having bought the wrong one...

Thanks, I will check out Lavers.

hi try finneys of chesterfield they will point you in the right direction ta jeff

Cheers Angela.....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: