Do you let your cats go outside?

Hi, I have two cats (Ocicat & Oriental) both around 1 year old, and keep them inside. They seem happy to be inside, but I wonder what else i can do to simulate an outside environment but in the safety of my home. When I am out I tend to confine them to the living room so they aren't causing trouble upstairs or in the kitchen.

Does anyone else keep there cats indoors? Do you let them have free roam of the place?

Thanks for any advice.

Ours are housecats, they have free range of the house at all times except for the bedrooms.

hi we have a cat, she's 17 now and never been kept in she as 2 cat flaps and comes and goes as she pleases, my sister in law as half a dozen house cats that never go out and sta in the bedroom, she also has a huge cage with a heated shed in it, were the cats go to sleep and be warm, but that can be expensive thing to erect and you need a big enogh garden to put it

17? wow thats old!

I live on a busy road, so believe my cats would probably get run over.

They seem happy enough being house cats, I think I will start allowing them free roam of the house at all times.

We've got two cats, they both have free run of the whole house (along with the dog) and a cat flap so are able to come in and out as they like.

Last cat went outside too but sadly PTS ages around 21 due to a mouth tumour :(

We have some indoor and some outdoor cats. The indoor cats have access to a large run attached to the property.

Do you have space to install one of these they can be built relatively cheaply.

Our indoor cats love going in the run and chasing one another around.

Theres a shelter in there with half open half plexiglass front so they can sit and snooze out there in pretty much all weathers.

Theres a Large catflap thats generally open 24/7 for access although this is locked closed when theres likely to be fireworks or similar.

Please also note if you do undertake a run there are several rules to follow to make the space safe for un-supervised use.

For example the floor needs to have foundations extending beyond the walls to prevent foxes or similar burrowing in. The mesh needs to be a minimum 16gauge with weld joints. Again to make it fox proof for safety & security.

If you do consider building a run i would be happy to advise.

I have had outdoor cats when I lived on a cul de sac but I have a house cat where I live now. He doesn't go in the kitchen unless we are there and he doesn't go in the spare bedrooms or bathrooms but he can go anywhere else. He is usually asleep on our bed or bothering one of us in our offices but sitting on the desk.

He is not as active now he's almost fifteen but he does have a crazy run round once a day. He prefers to flick small balls of paper round the floor rather than his toys. He loves to go mad on his scratching post.

Can you make your cats an outside play home, shed with a run on it so they can bask in sun if they want to? Put some tree branches in it and pop them in there for a few hours when its warm and sunny. Make sure they have a cool shady area in it.

We have 6 house cats and 1 who comes in n out when he feels like it. I have an outdoor Cattery which they use in the summer. Would love to see a

Photo of the ocicat!

I don't really have the space or money for an outdoor enclosure, but it is a nice idea for the future.

I will try and get a picture of him for you :)

Also, how do you keep 6 in whilst allowing 1 to go out?

Edited by Azarrr
Addition

We have 4 cats, 2 of whom were born feral so they need both other cats around them and to have a way of going outside when they have to go. Of the other two, there's one who goes out only rarely and for minutes at a time and the other who goes out a lot but uses that time to break into other people's houses rather than enjoying being outside.

We live in a cul de sac with lots of cat friendly people around.

My lot are all moggies, but when I had a blue burmese I allowed him out too, principally because his best mate was the brown burmese over the road and he as a nightmare to try to keep in when he wanted to be out.

Only just twigged you said ocicat! How much did he cost if you don't mind me asking? Also DEFINITELY need pics!

Edited by angel22

When I got my cat, I wanted to keep her as an indoor cat due to the fact that we lived on a very busy main road (Halifax Road) but she had other ideas. She escaped at every opportunity, she used to sit in the window crying and scratching to be let out. We got her at 6 weeks old so it's not as if she had been out before.

She used to sit behind the front door waiting for someone to come in and the second the door opened, she was off! There was no way I could have kept her as an indoor cat. I bought a harness and walked her round the garden, I did this for a few months before I let her out on her own (and I only let her out after she'd been spayed and chipped) luckily, she always stays close to home and NEVER goes past the front gate onto the road. She just loves being outdoors, in summer, she stays out all night. We tried keeping her in at night but she just pulled the carpets and meowed constantly.

I still worry about her even though I don't live there anymore (she lives with my parents) If I was to ever get a cat again, I would get an older cat that is used to being an indoor cat.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 15:57 ----------

Only just twigged you said ocicat! How much did he cost if you don't mind me asking? Also DEFINITELY need pics!

I thought Ocicat and Oriental were the cats names! Can tell I'm a dog person!