2nd hand car dealer problem

6 weeks ago I bought a Citroën C3, 04 plate from a used car dealer. The day we bought it the engine warning light came on but they just did something with it & the light went off. I was given a months warranty. Just before the month was up the engine warning light came on again & the car had no power, could only move at 5mph. After a few hours it started to move ok but the light was still on. Took back to dealer who after several hours said thw tappits had veen done but no fault found on as to the light coming on so again just took the light off.

Christmas day the same thing happened again, had to travel back from Rotherham at 5 mph. Next day the light had gone off & was working ok again.

Took it back to dealer today, they had a look at it & after 2 hours gave me a list of problems...needs new coil pack, injection 3, throttle pedal or something like that. It will cost £650 with labour to put right but will only charge me £250???

I told them they should put it right as has had same problem all along. He told me it was a one time offer so if I took it without paying that was it. He wouldn't listen to reason & was arrogant & rude so I told him I would seek advice from trading standards. He told me that trading standards would say I was wrong & I would go running back to him to put right for the £250 but he would tell me no way.

Advice please. Am I being unreasonable? Or is the dealer?

If the problem was there and reported during the warrenty period then they will have to fix it free.

How you make them do that though is another matter as is proving the failures are the same as the ones reported under warrenty altothough a court would favour you if it got that far.

speak to trading standards then you will know for yourself what they will say.Im pretty confident they will side with you.

---------- Post added 28-12-2013 at 18:03 ----------

If you want the codes read to know for sure what the problem is,bring it to me and ill sort it for £10.

what maybe happening is they are exaderating the problem to lower their percentage and £250 is likely to be the full cost or a bit more.

yes injector 3 very common fault, its due to poor design of the washer jets , when it rains the seal around the jet allows water to drip from the rear of the jet(bad sealing from factory) onto the no.3 injector. probably the only fault its actually got. the others will more than likely be related faults or symptoms. so they are more than likely charging for just an injector.

Xt500

He gave me a piece of paper with a possible code P1161 if that means anything.

that's the error code P1161

P1161 - throttle motor position

Xt500

He gave me a piece of paper with a possible code P1161 if that means anything.

hi

fault sounds familiar beleive this fault relates to the electric throtle pedle just a thought but if you take out the glove box there should be a four pin black connector that looks like the one ontop of the throtlle pedle chop off the plug and chuck it in the bin , but make sure you connect the wires back in the right order or you will need a complete harness front to back and it aint cheap, and its a v v v big job to change hope this helps

regards robw00t

found this on 'BBA Reman' site, go on it as it has all sorts of mechanical questions and answers , good luck

are there no codes thrown for the injector and coil pack? maybe that's because those don't exist at all!!! so they could actually fix the fault for pennies if its just a matter of cutting the wiring block and resoldering the wires. best to go armed with the info so they cant just fob you off.

Edited by mg16

Close to my heart, been there seen it done it.

Speak to trading Standards immediately. I had a similar issue and they will tell you exactly what you need to do and in my case, even dictated the letters i needed to write to the company. keep copies and send recorded delivery. The down side is that you will not be able to drive the car, declaring it not fit for purpose. The upside, claim for any insurance and tax you have to maintain on the vehicle whilst it is unusable and what you paid for the vehicle, the courts allowed 8% for those items when I took them to small claims. I also got to keep the car and sell it as scrap. Appreciate that being without your car may not compensate but the other thing i did was take that car to my local garage and get a report on the cars mechanical state and road worthiness, second hand car dealers have a legal obligation to ensure a car is road worthy beyond their obligation for it being fit for purposes. I also won that money back plus 8%.

I could go on but if you need any more info, then PM me and I will gladly help.

Not sure if we are allowed to name and shame the people you got if from on here so will leave that to you but they deserve it.......says it all unfortunatly, should be allowed to type it up and they should be allowed to respond

Good luck

no stick to your guns

not sold for the purpose it was made for

get in touch with trading standards and get it all logged

private claims court around £50 and you will win

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sheffield/

Spot on. Don't let this garage get away with it..

Can't name and shame but its not on Holme Lane by any chance is it?