The New Moor Market

So would you like to comment on the customer who wishes to use the cafe area to dine , looks around, finds all the space taken by non users , then decides to go else where.

The cafe should have their own designated areas,.

Not really. Because of the way they designed it, then thats pretty impossible to police. It's rare that its so packed, but if it becomes so, then am sure they will move people on. How often do you go through the market?

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 10:55 ----------

Something is very wrong down there. I walked through last week and I'd estimate that about half of the non meat stands were closed in the main hall. The ones that were open were making a good effort to cover up the shutters and make it look more lively though.

How often do you go through the market? If it was the end of the day then a few of them close at 5. The odd one doesnt open on various days as they are sole traders. I think the ones with shutters are more likely to be stalls that tried and have since left.

So would you like to comment on the customer who wishes to use the cafe area to dine , looks around, finds all the space taken by non users , then decides to go else where.

The cafe should have their own designated areas,.

I've never been unable to get a seat but I suppose if you are paying for the redesign and extra staff to be seating Nazis let's go.

Ok wind your neck in before you make yourself look silly.

The "canal basin" now has a different purpose. Its filled with offices who pay far more in rents to the landlord than some wannabe tourist attraction.

The airport I agree was a failure but again makes far much more income now as a business park than anything to do with flights.

As for the town hall extension, it served it purpose for 25 years before the WHOLE AREA was completely redeveloped not just one building.

Cities evolve. Sometimes projects do fail but its how you deal with it afterwards that counts.

It seems to be the Sheffield way. Someone asks what you think and when you tell them some smart alec tells you to wind your neck in.

But of course the result is often that the customer votes with their feet and takes their trade elsewhere.

By the way I was unaware they had filled in the canal basin. I always assumed the offices had been there all along and that the wet bit had been restored at great expence for the use of pleasure craft and the like.

There was of course also a cost in building an airport. Had they wanted a business park they could have built one on the site without having to go to the trouble an expence of building an airport that they could then shut down and build a business park.

Odd also that the Town Hall built in 1897 is still going strong, but the modern bit only lasted 25 years and was a source of derission from the day it opened. But then some folk will make excusses for anything.

Edited by foxy lady

There was of course also a cost in building an airport. Had they wanted a business park they could have built one on the site without having to go to the trouble an expence of building an airport that they could then shut down and build a business park.

Not sure if that is entirely right.

As far as I'm aware the planned airport was the only reason the land could be re-developed, and also the reason the link road was built in order to remove the coal and waste. The link road was funded by the EU. It would have been too expensive to re-develop the land and build a business park and permission would probable not have been given. Something here seems to be a buit dodgy as SDC had a clause that allowed them to sell 40+ acres of land to Peel for only £1 should the airport fail. Not surprisingley it failed and the land is now worth over £1,000,000 and has a business park.

Which is why I put SDC in my post!

Well yes not really a reference to your post it was attributed as a council **** up earlier in the thread but actually nothing of the sort, council weren't involved in the initial plan just tidying up the mess the SDC made. I guess your post inspired me to go look.

Anyone got any bright (printable) ideas how we might make the Moor Market a better proposition for shoppers please? We have been open nearly three months now and, whilst we are steadily building up a loyal following, it is neither diverse enough or large enough to make the business sustainable.

We have to deal with several unchangeable facts:

1. Like it or not, it is at Moorfoot.

2. Like it or not, the Council are unable to reduce the running costs by much if at all. And whether borrowing money to build it and build it in the fashion they have was right, so what now. They did and they have.

3. Not all, but many traders are justly proud of the products they sell and work hard to deliver them to the customer in a friendly and professional fashion. And at a reasonable price.

Some traders in the market have really cheap produce, sold cheaply. Some of it, in supermarket terms, would be way past the "best before" date they would need to show. But you can buy produce of that nature with your eyes and nose. If the intention of the Market was to serve just the lowest paid sector, it will go to the wall.

I went to Leicester market last week to find out why it was voted " Britain's favourite market". I was keen to see what was so good. And I honestly could not see one thing that was truly "better" there, except the advertising and the general public support. And it is largely outdoor whereas we have the luxury of warmth. There was greater diversity in ours, for what I could see. So where is it all going wrong. Another two traders have left in February. It is easy to blame crippling rents as the reason (and it may BE the reason), but if you were turning over £K1 per week, the rent ceases to be an issue. This morning by midday we had taken £7.20. Is that the fault of the Council? Perhaps not.

If we continue to knock the location, yearn for the past, moan about what has been lost, rather than embrace change and work together to make the future ok, we are all doomed. And whilst three chickens for a fiver may seem great (I am a devout carnivore), anyone with a hint of compassion for the animals we eat could guess these are not high welfare birds and the producer will not have made much margin. Supporting the market is supporting local business. In opening a shop we have provided employment to 1.5 Sheffielders. That must be worth something?

Please message me privately if you want to say something but not in public, but I would welcome some bright ideas that might help make it a bigger success. We should be able to make it a "must go to" venue with all the talent we have lurking around the city