Rama's Bridge - New South Indian Restaurant

I noticed this place last week whilst passing through Crookes. There's now three Indian restaurants within a couple of hundred yards of each other, is Crookes turning into Sheffield's curry mile?

Horrendous! Surely from all the other positive reviews we must have experienced them on a bad day!

Shortly before Christmas we popped in for a taster from here, very excited that they had a morning and lunch menu to offer to compliment the traditional evening food.

The food was horrendous. Poppadoms that looked like big microwaved type and were so brittle you could barely hold them. Pancake that was cold and tough. Dahl that has a runny consistency and tasted of mouldy water.

We went abroad the very next day and never had chance to return and mention the food. No confidence to buy again.

Maybe they would remember me if I re-visited???

The food is really sucks, Mavali Dasa roti are much better than this. spoil our day. there was a short guy, was not polite at all.. and rushing, we didnt got what we order.the guy took our change money as a tip without asking us.. never go there again...

This new restaurant has opened in Crookes this week and we thought we would give it a try.

We arrived at 9.30pm on a Thursday and it was fairly quiet but there were a few people in. Greeted by friendly staff and shown to our table. It was a bit chilly in the restaurant but this was not a problem when the spicy food we ordered began to arrive.

Good selection of wines and beers to choose from. Large and varied menu to select food from, especially vegetarian. First of all we were given complimentary poppadums and pickles. Then we went for a mixed vegetarian starter to share. It came and was massive! Lots of really tasty idly, chilli paneer, vada and dips and salad. Wonderful flavours and well presented.

For mains I had a dry Sri Lankan fish curry, my missus went for the Mushroom curry. We shared a rice and portion of chapatis. Again really well presented and really tasty. In all honesty we couldn't finish everything as we were absolutely stuffed.

This new place isn't quite finished yet as some salesman was demonstrating tablecloths whilst we were there but this didn't bother us in the slightest. The food was good and that's what matters.

We spent £36 on starters , mains, 2 glasses if wine and a large kingfisher which I thought was excellent value.

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 23:16 ----------

The food is really sucks, Mavali Dasa roti are much better than this. spoil our day. not been cooked properly there was a short guy (waiter) , was not polite at all.. and rushing, we didnt got what we order.the guy took our change money as a tip without asking us.. never go there again...

I went again last week. No complaints at all. Great food, good service. Would have been better atmosphere with more people but it was quite late after watching a match in the pub. I would have no hesitation in going again

I will add that I really like Maveli ,East West and Arusuvai too! All great places to eat.

I agree with bungleboy69. We've eaten in Rama's Bridge about five times now since it opened. The service has always been good - all the staff seem very polite, and concerned that you enjoy your meal. We've enjoyed the food - the chilli paneer is quite spicy, they also do an interesting tamarind soup. There's a reasonable wine list / drink selection.

I have a few niggles. It can still be a little slow when they're busy - although it's improving. Sometimes there's marks on the tablecloths and I'm not sure whether they're stains or the remnants of a previous diner's meal - off-putting.

But the reason we keep going back is because we think the dosas are pretty amazing. They're always crisp and perfectly cooked, just the right thickness. They're generously filled. We particularly like the paneer and mutton ones. They are simply the best cooked dosas I've had anywhere (including India).

I like Maveli's too - I love their quail egg curry. I think that there's many things going for them - great service, great location, some great food. But Rama's Bridge is definitely my first choice for dosas now and I also really want to try out their weekend thali.

I went again last week. No complaints at all. Great food, good service. Would have been better atmosphere with more people but it was quite late after watching a match in the pub. I would have no hesitation in going again

I will add that I really like Maveli ,East West and Arusuvai too! All great places to eat.

Rama's Bridge are the same owners as East West.

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 08:18 ----------

The food is really sucks, Mavali Dasa roti are much better than this. spoil our day. there was a short guy, was not polite at all.. and rushing, we didnt got what we order.the guy took our change money as a tip without asking us.. never go there again...

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 23:16 ----------

The food is really sucks, Mavali Dasa roti are much better than this. spoil our day. not been cooked properly there was a short guy (waiter) , was not polite at all.. and rushing, we didnt got what we order.the guy took our change money as a tip without asking us.. never go there again...

You sound like someone who has a restaurant nearby and are worried about the competition.

Rama's Bridge are the same owners as East West.

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 08:18 ----------

You sound like someone who has a restaurant nearby and are worried about the competition.

Ooooh, not much!!

I went on sat night. The place was really busy. Service was a bit slack - but very friendly & food was good - so would definitely go back

We went on Monday night, I'm a big fan of Maveli but this came a very very close second. Fab dosas !! and I will return.