Dangerous drivers, they`ve got no imagination..

Yep, sounds very odd. Maybe he thought he'd seen a camera/traffic police on an overhead road or something... No need to change lane though, even if he was going to break hard to reduce speed.

Yep, sounds very odd. Maybe he thought he'd seen a camera/traffic police on an overhead road or something... No need to change lane though, even if he was going to break hard to reduce speed.

It's all managed motorway along that stretch. At the time in question no speed limit given on the gantry signs (so 70mph limit), nearest speed camera is some distance ahead (either the next or the one after gantry).

Not to worry, I followed him home and beat him to death with a wet kipper.

jb

I think moving over to the inside lane as you pass a junction is poor driving full stop.

If I`m in the middle lane but wanting to return to the inside lane, and I`m approaching a motorway junction, I stay in the middle lane till I`m past it. Quite apart from anything else there`s a reasonable chance a car will be joining the motorway there so you may have to pull back out again anyway.

You don't just look and the move over if it's clear?

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 15:54 ----------

It's all managed motorway along that stretch. At the time in question no speed limit given on the gantry signs (so 70mph limit), nearest speed camera is some distance ahead (either the next or the one after gantry).

Not to worry, I followed him home and beat him to death with a wet kipper.

jb

Seems fair.

You don't just look and the move over if it's clear?

No, I wait till I`m past the junction, it`s usually only 10 seconds or so anyway.

I didn`t agree with Swordfish at the time, after all I haven`t had an accident in 22 years, but since then I`ve realised why so many drivers - usually men - drive like imbeciles. I see them taking risks I`d never dream of (and they aren`t all young inexperienced drivers, though most are.....) and think has he actually got a brain ?

What are these people thinking as they drive like that ?

I think I`ve now worked it out.

As they`re about to undertake their insane manoeuvre they never actually ask themselves "what could possible go wrong ? ! ?"

It just never occurs to them because they haven`t got any imagination.

I feel I drive more safely because I have got some imagination and do ask myself "if I do that, what could actually go wrong ?" And I can actually imagine what could possibly go wrong, unlike, it seems, far too many drivers on the roads today.

(The above quotes are from an earlier thread on motorists and road safety/responsibility)

Or they have an imagination, know what could go wrong, but get a buzz from the danger they are putting themselves in.:)

I've not gone far from home in car recently but I've been staggered at the level of idiocy I've seen. Far too many drivers looking no further than 2ft from the end of the bonnet. There are road works round my way. At one set of traffic lights a roadworks sign is on the road (rather than the pavement) but rather than stopping before it they'll try and get that extra few feet right behind me but can't do it - so they are in the middle of the road and traffic coming from the other direction can't get past.

I was on a 83 bus this afternoon going eastbound from Ecclesall Road onto the Waitrose roundabout. A driver was coming onto the same roundabout northbound from the ring road. He barely slowed down and looked like he was going to smash into the back of the bus until he braked slightly, swerved left around the bus and peeped his horn. In a way I rather wish he'd smashed into the bus and done himself and his car a lot of damage as he was clearly a pillock.

If there is one thing that boils my head, its drivers who join a motorway from the slip road, and just expect you to pull into the middle or slow down to let them join. This is the worst part of motorway madness, and can often lead to multiple pile-ups. Don't do it!

get up to speed on slip road no prob joining motorway traffic whether 40 50 or 70

Or they have an imagination, know what could go wrong, but get a buzz from the danger they are putting themselves in.:)

Them getting a buzz from it is fine, apart from the little fact that they`re putting other peoples lives at risk, so, of course, it`s not fine at all.

On this subject I saw something a bit unusual last night. I was driving along Leppings Lane, it was dark and wet but a Porsche comes off the roundabout and hammers it. Now obviously hammering a car on Leppings lane at any time means an immature d***head is at the wheel, though in the dark and wet he`s a double d***head. What is surprising is that`s usually what some young lad in a Corsa would do, not a bloke in a Porsche because generally speaking to be able to run and insure a Porsche you have to be a bit older, read more mature.

---------- Post added 09-11-2013 at 09:56 ----------

If there is one thing that boils my head, its drivers who join a motorway from the slip road, and just expect you to pull into the middle or slow down to let them join. This is the worst part of motorway madness, and can often lead to multiple pile-ups. Don't do it!

I`m not sure I agree with you here. Pulling onto a motorway is a bit risky, bear in mind you`re doing (or should be doing) 60mph plus with a limited amount of time before your road runs out. Therefore I think drivers on motorways should wherever possible try to make it easier (read safer) for cars to pull onto the motorway.

What I do think is bad driving is imbeciles who pull onto the motorway and go straight from the slip road across two lanes to the outside lane. Doing so must involve more risk than just going into the inside lane because they`re trying to judge how fast traffic is going in three lanes, plus, most importantly, they aren`t building contingency into their driving, in this case the fact they might not actually see one of the vehicles.....

Edited by Justin Smith

I`m not sure I agree with you here. Pulling onto a motorway is a bit risky, bear in mind you`re doing (or should be doing) 60mph plus with a limited amount of time before your road runs out. Therefore I think drivers on motorways should wherever possible try to make it easier (read safer) for cars to pull onto the motorway.

What I do think is bad driving is imbeciles who pull onto the motorway and go straight from the slip road across two lanes to the outside lane. Doing so must involve more risk than just going into the inside lane because they`re trying to judge how fast traffic is going in three lanes, plus, most importantly, they aren`t building contingency into their driving, in this case the fact they might not actually see one of the vehicles.....

Risky?

Joining a motorway is easy. There's more risk in joining a main road from a side street.

At least on the slip road it easy to match the speed of the motorway traffic and pick a gap.

The so called help from vehicles already on the motorway often causes disruption to those around them.

Them getting a buzz from it is fine, apart from the little fact that they`re putting other peoples lives at risk, so, of course, it`s not fine at all.

I wasn't arguing that its fine, I was demonstrating that someone driving like an idiot is likely to know the consequences if things go wrong, but they simply don't care.