Accident Outside Argos

Even after this horrible accident people are still walking out in front of buses at this place, and in fact all over city centre.

I was on a bus route yesterday that took me on angel street (outside primark) 7 times, and each and every time, people walked out, ran out, many without looking right in front of my bus.

People just seem not to care, and if they do get hit, then its got to be the drivers fault according to them, not the fact they were not looking.

If for one travel around that corner at no more than 10 mph, i make a point of it, as i know just how many people are walking about, infact, all around the city centre i'm careful, but no matter how big my vehicle is, people do persist in walking out in front of me, and i can't believe how many people just don't look when crossing roads.

Another prime spot for this is at the end of fargate, the cathedral end, always busy with buses and taxi's but still just dawdle out without looking.

Probably going to get flamed to hell and back for suggesting this but isn't it about time we introduced the offence of 'jaywalking' in town/city centres. If people have to start paying for their stupidity out of their pockets it might just make them think twice.

Hi guys

I saw the accident and looked after the lady until the paramedics arrived.

My boyfriend told me about this thread and whilst I don't want to discuss the accident, I saw that someone had posted a link to one of her family's facebook pages asking for information. The link doesn't seem to work but I wondered if anyone who does know her family could pass on my best wishes to them.

Buses fly around that bit, it's been an accident waiting to happen this.

We've already established that they don't.

We've already established that they don't.

Where? who's we?

Like I say, buses do go very fast around that bit, big vehicles should go much slower around there, people might jay walk but bus drivers should be used to it surely

Yes buses do go too fast round angel st !!!

Where? who's we?

Like I say, buses do go very fast around that bit, big vehicles should go much slower around there, people might jay walk but bus drivers should be used to it surely

No, they go no more than the speed limit. 9 times out of 10 (based on personal observation) they're stopped by the traffic signals and coming round that bend they're still accelerating from a stand-still.

Have you ever tried accelerating 8-11 tons up a steep incline? it doesn't happen very quickly.

Now normally I'd be the first to lambast bad driving by bus drivers in Sheffield but in this case, given the photo-evidence earlier in the thread and the observations of posters, the problem lies with the ignorance of pedestrians.

No they don't.

I think you will find that taxis are guilty of this more than buses..............

Beats me why people find it difficult to cross at the Market Place/ Angel St, the traffic is only one way, so its just people not looking where they are going. Do we have to have a "Lollipop" person to take people across?

No they don't.

I agree, buses travel at the correct speed and pedestrians walk out in front of buses simple as, and by the way I am a pedestrian who uses buses so I have seen it from both sides and when I moved here 4 yrs ago I nearly got myself ran over outside primark as I didn't know that the traffic turns onto angel st from 2 directions and didn't use the crossing so my own fault but now I know I take more caution on that road , everyone is ready to blame drivers but even at slow speed they cant stop in an instant when plonkers just walk out in front of them,

sorry for the lady and her family though and the poor bus driver x

No they don't.

Oh yes they do!

(gosh! pantomime season has come early!)

Even the chicane outside the town hall between Leopold Street and Pinstone street does not slow traffic down to sufficiently low speeds for safety. (I'm not just pointing the finger at the buses, it's all traffic, I've found.I won't even go into the PITA market traders' vans that seem to be parked across the textured kerb at the crossing-point at King Street)

I do cross Angel Street nearer to King street, myself, but I generally wait till the pedestrian crossing is at green, and the trams have right of way; that way, I know that the traffic is halted at Castle Square.