I had to laugh at this piece of information my friend told me

Flying in just to claim benefits, then go back, that is insanity.

Not really, the benefit system in Ireland is more generous -daft - than the UK. It's something like a 2 to 3 hour flight. Ryanair do returns for approx £50. You can live quite comfortably in Poland on the difference.

It's just another example of how politicians both Irish & British are not good at working out the laws of unintended consequences before implementing their policy's.

Not really, the benefit system in Ireland is more generous -daft - than the UK. It's something like a 2 to 3 hour flight. Ryanair do returns for approx £50. You can live quite comfortably in Poland on the difference.

It's just another example of how politicians both Irish & British are not good at working out the laws of unintended consequences before implementing their policy's.

When I say insanity I'm talking about the general situation from our point of view; it makes sense for the "benefit tourists" point of view.

It is Northern Ireland, ie, the UK, where this is happening isn't it?

When I say insanity I'm talking about the general situation from our point of view; it makes sense for the "benefit tourists" point of view.

The OP's anecdote did refer to NI, but the article in the Irish Independent is clearly referring to The Republic.

No, the Republic, as I mentioned above their benefits are more generous than ours. Having said that, I would not bet against some people having it set up so they are claiming benefits from both countries.

As an EU citizen you can cross borders without too much checking taking place. I can imagine a very profitable scam taking place where a group of people establish residency in both countries & then pick up the dole on an ongoing basis from both.

Don't worry though, it's only our money - & that of my Irish relatives - the most important thing to remember in these trying times is that we're all in it together :)

If it was one person fetching multiple claims back it could work especially if they are claiming rent and rates they might even be getting money for a disabled car as well..nice to know where all my hard earned tax money is going :mad:

It's Eire not Northern Ireland, so you can stop worrying!

there was a story in the metro the other day about a family that had been found guilty of arranging something similar. They would fly people over presumably paying them a cut and then fly them back, afterwards they would take that persons benefits-I wouldn't have thought it would be on a big enough scale for anyone to notice after planes were grounded for a week though!

The story's uncorroborated and unattributed thus far.

Actually I'm Anglo-Irish, Sheffield father, County Clare mother, & I visit Ireland every year - twice this year- the link provided by cqksheff at post 12 from the Irish Independent newspaper dated 4th July 2010 was factual. There was a figure of 3500 less people signing on for receipt of dole money than expected during the Icelandic ash cloud, during which flights were cancelled.

Could it have been a coincidence? Probably not. :)