Forge valley u turn on Y11 exams in November

I went to a recent meeting at Forge valley regarding Y11 students, exams and what s being put in place to help them succeed.

I was sold on the idea that Y11 students would be abel to sit GCSE Maths and English in November this year and if their grades were good it would give them time in the summer to focus on their other subjects, but if they don't do we'll they could re-sit maths / English exams in the summer.

Now in a complete U turn just 5 weeks later, my daughter brings a letter home saying students would not sit exams in November due to new GVT ruling which says that the first attempt at an exam students do is the grade that counts for school figures, but if a student resists at a later date and improves this would be their final grade !

Once again the kids lose out in this failing school just because they are more interested in figures, the letter goes on to talk about another 8 months of high Quality teaching before their final exams in November , what a joke !

I went to a recent meeting at Forge valley regarding Y11 students, exams and what s being put in place to help them succeed.

I was sold on the idea that Y11 students would be abel to sit GCSE Maths and English in November this year and if their grades were good it would give them time in the summer to focus on their other subjects, but if they don't do we'll they could re-sit maths / English exams in the summer.

Now in a complete U turn just 5 weeks later, my daughter brings a letter home saying students would not sit exams in November due to new GVT ruling which says that the first attempt at an exam students do is the grade that counts for school figures, but if a student resists at a later date and improves this would be their final grade !

Once again the kids lose out in this failing school just because they are more interested in figures, the letter goes on to talk about another 8 months of high Quality teaching before their final exams in November , what a joke !

Why blame the school for simply following a state dictat,and why post on here?They are interested in figures like exam results which I presume you condone.I really cannot see your grievance.

Why blame the school for simply following a state dictat,and why post on here?They are interested in figures like exam results which I presume you condone.I really cannot see your grievance.

If the school has made a promise to parents, they should deliver on it. The government has not told the school that they can't offer November sits in addition to summer ones. They can still do this. I suspect the school will think that it's not worth them spending the extra money now, if it's not going to count towards their school figures, but I would be making them keep to their promise if that was my overriding factor in choosing the school in the first place.

If you want to be "uber" reasonable, you could offer to pay half the costs of the extra exams, if any are needed, as your child may do so well that later sits are not necessary.

It sounds the like government are more interested in scoring political points than actually doing best by students, with this ruling. What a shocker!!!

Edited by Mr Bloom

If the school has made a promise to parents, they should deliver on it. The government has not told the school that they can't offer November sits in addition to summer ones. They can still do this. I suspect the school will think that it's not worth them spending the extra money now, if it's not going to count towards their school figures, but I would be making them keep to their promise if that was my overriding factor in choosing the school in the first place.

If you want to be "uber" reasonable, you could offer to pay half the costs of the extra exams, if any are needed, as your child may do so well that later sits are not necessary.

It sounds the like government are more interested in scoring political points than actually doing best by students, with this ruling. What a shocker!!!

The children should sit their GCSE exams at a stage when they have the chance of obtaining their best possible grade.

Sitting them early on the assumption that they can have another bite at the cherry has led to an overall fall in performance levels.

Schools have been mistreating their students by entering them early.

So guess what?

We are going back towards the way things should always have been done.

We were told that our Y9's would be taking their maths GCSE's a whole year early which I thought was not the best idea really as although they may 'bag a C' they might have been able to get an A/A* with extra tuition - wonder if they will be taking them in Y11 now (hope so).

My son took GCSE maths in y9 at Hinde House in may 2013 and got a C, I was told he will take it again in y10 and y11 and by the end should have A or A*. Maybe different rules for different schools.

My son took GCSE maths in y9 at Hinde House in may 2013 and got a C, I was told he will take it again in y10 and y11 and by the end should have A or A*. Maybe different rules for different schools.

.......and plenty of money for exam boards,markers and printers.Its a fix.

Should never have closed the old schools

The children should sit their GCSE exams at a stage when they have the chance of obtaining their best possible grade.

Sitting them early on the assumption that they can have another bite at the cherry has led to an overall fall in performance levels.

Schools have been mistreating their students by entering them early.

So guess what?

We are going back towards the way things should always have been done.

Your argument may hold water (actually, I'd like to see a complete overhaul of the entire exams system we have, where students can sit exams when they are ready and not be faced with piles of pressure all at once) but a promise to parents is a promise.

Facts, people...

Department for education sudden announcement (leaked through press): https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-early-entry-at-gcse

Headteachers' open to letter to all parents about this announcement: http://www.ascl.org.uk/News_views/press_releases/secondary_heads_unite_condemnation_sudden_changes_early_exam_entry_that_disrupts_school_pupil_plans

And for those who condemn early entry, be thankful that the same ill-thought out and reactionary politics was not applied to driving tests.

Facts, people...

Department for education sudden announcement (leaked through press): https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-early-entry-at-gcse

Headteachers' open to letter to all parents about this announcement: http://www.ascl.org.uk/News_views/press_releases/secondary_heads_unite_condemnation_sudden_changes_early_exam_entry_that_disrupts_school_pupil_plans

And for those who condemn early entry, be thankful that the same ill-thought out and reactionary politics was not applied to driving tests.

Do you mean you approve of resitting the driving test?