Sign in to follow this  

Blueberries / Bilberries- Is there a difference?

To settle an argument can anybody direct me to some info that will settle this? Are they different berries? Thanks

Yes, they're different fruit.

Oops, forgot to include the links, and for some reason the linky short cut in the edit window has gone. Do a search on Wikipedia; you'll find the information there :).

Just do a Google search, there are loads of sites which explain the differences.

They both belong to the same plant family, along with huckleberries and whortleberries and a number of lesser known berries.

http://www.mountainnature.com/Plants/PlantsLatinNameResult.asp?ID=1&fCommonName=Bilberry%2FBlueberry

Ah! we spent many a sunny Sunday afternoon as kids Billberry picking out in the countryside. They were made into delicious pie by mum:thumbsup: MMmmmm Apple & Billbery Pie Mmmmmm!!:love:

Talking of bilberries does anyone know where to buy them in Sheffield or even bilberry jam for that matter?

And, while we are on the subject, any idea what a "Wimberry" is? My Mum used to make pies with them! Is Wimberry just another name for bilberry or blueberry, or are they something different?

And, while we are on the subject, any idea what a "Wimberry" is? My Mum used to make pies with them! Is Wimberry just another name for bilberry or blueberry, or are they something different?

We knew them as "Whinberry". Could that have been what she was saying?

Whin being another name for the low bushes .... although also is another name for Gorse which is something else entirely.

Thank you!

Talking of bilberries does anyone know where to buy them in Sheffield or even bilberry jam for that matter?

Go pick them them yourself!

We took a group of inner city kids down Rivelin Valley once and spent the day picking bilberries that we then made into pie. It was the first experience some of the kids had of real food - ie it hadn't come out of a tin from the supermarket.

I know Waitrose does Blueberries but I can't be certain about Bilberies - I think not!

Meridian, Essential, Clearspring & St Dalfour brands of Blueberry/Bilberry Jam are available in large supermarkets and wholefood stores. Frozen blueberries are available too cos I had them in my porridge this morning, mmm.

Blueberries and bilberries are seriously healthy stuff.

Researchers at Tufts University analyzed 60 fruits and vegetables for their antioxidant capability. Blueberries came out on top, rating highest in their capacity to destroy free radicals.

Take a look: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=8