Ale house fraser road

Drinker

What I don't understand is how is the Ale House supposed to establish a regular set of regulars if;

1. He's never open

2. He doesn't have regulars to give 'Members' cards too?

3. He doesn't allow regulars of the pub for the past 30 years plus inside?

DumDom what you are missing out, is that the Ale House is advertised as a Public House, yet it is not open to the public. End of I'm affraid....

What I don't understand is how is the Ale House supposed to establish a regular set of regulars if;

1. He's never open

2. He doesn't have regulars to give 'Members' cards too?

3. He doesn't allow regulars of the pub for the past 30 years plus inside?

DumDom what you are missing out, is that the Ale House is advertised as a Public House, yet it is not open to the public. End of I'm affraid....

1. He is open every day, just some days he may decide not to ( its his pub after all) if he's tired, I'll etc. his regulates seem to understand this.

2. He does have regulars ( me &other half are among the 100 or so who do have a weekend pass ( card ).

3. Not sure about that one, but many regulars of the previous landlords still go in.

Who said he is advertising it as a "public house" and anyway as it's his business, he can do what he wants.

If he wants to open it for friends, he can, if he doesn't want drunks who could cause problems he doesn't let them in, it's his choice.

At the end of the day it is his livelihood and if he can make a go of it, and judging by the amount of people in there he is, it's his decision.

Of to the pub now, guess which one........

I' m also a beer snob, I guess. I struggle to drink stuff that does not taste good.

I go to The Ale House maybe once a month and I'm pretty sure that the membership thing only applies at the weekend. And FYI some of the regulars also frequent Laycocks.

You seem to comment on just about every pub that is due to open or has recently opened on this forum so I credit you with some knowledge of what you are talking about.

Do I take it then that the 'stuff that does not taste good'is only found in the run of the mill pubs,funny 'cause I brewed my own beer and wine for years and it could differ in taste at every brew dependant on quality of mash,yeast,temperature amount of time left on the lees etc.every pub can have beers differing in taste as to how the landlord looks after it CONSISTENTLY.Some of the best beers I have tasted if kept well have been,Wards,Magnet,Mansfield,and an example of a bad brew could also be wards 'cos you knew about it if you got a bad pint of that!.......................................Real Ale I believe is just a label,fashionable,snobbish for no sound reason.:suspect:

You add that FMI some of the regulars also frequent Laycocks Club yes they do even more so now that they have been barred from the ale house for questionable reasons!:confused:

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 00:06 ----------

Laycocks sports club is a private club,not a working mens club thanks!

Ooh sorry,

me thinks you are more put out that you haven't been invited to join the Ale House (Private Weekend ) club.

Private Club or Working men's club, sentiment the same, if the landlord doesn't want people who aren't regulars in the pub that he owns, he is within his rights to not serve them by whatever means ( barring, or having a card).

He owns it, he can do what he wants.

Dear Me!I have not been in the ale house since this guy took it over I have listened to reports of how he has barred people for swearing and being loud on singular and generally acceptable conditions but not his,why would I want to have a night out with friends looking over my shoulder.Yes you may now be an acceptable regular your last comment sums it all up 'he owns it and can do what he wants'and So Can I!:rant:

---------- Post added 16-10-2013 at 00:30 ----------

1. He is open every day, just some days he may decide not to ( its his pub after all) if he's tired, I'll etc. his regulates seem to understand this.

2. He does have regulars ( me &other half are among the 100 or so who do have a weekend pass ( card ).

3. Not sure about that one, but many regulars of the previous landlords still go in.

Who said he is advertising it as a "public house" and anyway as it's his business, he can do what he wants.

If he wants to open it for friends, he can, if he doesn't want drunks who could cause problems he doesn't let them in, it's his choice.

At the end of the day it is his livelihood and if he can make a go of it, and judging by the amount of people in there he is, it's his decision.

Of to the pub now, guess which one........

1.Whats that supposed to mean he's open every day only when he's not!:loopy:

2.Regulars with membership cards IN A PUB?:loopy:

3.Sorry but NOT many of the previous regulars still go in!

4.You should find that above the door as you enter the premises a sign usually a brass plaque stating that this PUBLIC HOUSE is licensed by whoever blah.......blah.Tonight when your stood outside 'cos he's not open.Read it!:help:

Something you may be interested in,as a regular,is the fact that he's thinking about (when he's not too tired to open)is to open at 4.00 and shut at 7.00 or 9.00 in the evening............................................Just because he can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hihi:

Edited by GeorgyGirl

Well GeorgyGirl sorry to say it but yousound like the type he isn't want to come in his pub if that's the case.

1. because he can, and its irony!!!!!

2.Regulars with membership cards In a club!!!!!:loopy:

3.you say you don't go in, so you would know, how exactly............

4.Got me on that one,

I really don't mind him opening at 4 shutting at 7, I'm fine with that.

It's like if a Grocer/ butcher or whatever chooses his/her opening times that's up to them, as long as people who want to use their services know.

They want to lose money it up to them, get over it.

There are enough people in the Ale House every night ( when he is open!) for him to currently make a living, that may change,we will have to wait and see.

Well GeorgyGirl sorry to say it but yousound like the type he isn't want to come in his pub if that's the case.

1. because he can, and its irony!!!!!

2.Regulars with membership cards In a club!!!!!:loopy:

3.you say you don't go in, so you would know, how exactly............

4.Got me on that one,

I really don't mind him opening at 4 shutting at 7, I'm fine with that.

It's like if a Grocer/ butcher or whatever chooses his/her opening times that's up to them, as long as people who want to use their services know.

They want to lose money it up to them, get over it.

There are enough people in the Ale House every night ( when he is open!) for him to currently make a living, that may change,we will have to wait and see.

I assure you I make my own decisions and it is that I DONT want to go in the ale house!

3.I dont go in,but there are enough ex-regulars that come in laycocks now that keep me in the know as to what is going on.

If you want your pub to open at the same time as your butchers or your grocers I would find a job in the daytime if I were you!

As i understand it the owner does'nt run the pub to make a living its just a pastime his comments when first installed as landlord I believe were if it does'nt work as a pub he will convert it into flats!:o

I've heard tell of other pubs around Sheffield that don't open their doors to the general public, just serving regulars and people they know.

I think it might be something that we'll see more of in the future, particularly if the landlord owns the freehold. They might just live there as they would a house and then let people they know in for a quiet pint or two.

It's not a business as such, but if the building is theirs and have no rent to pay, I can see why they might not want random scallywags wandering into their 'home'. Especially if the extra money that would be taken, isn't a great amount in relation to the extra hassle.

I lived on Archer road when I was younger and I used to go in the Sheaf as it was known then and it was a rowdy pub then.it has been through a few changes in the past and it seemed to be getting worse the last time I went in a few years ago,it was always a bussy pub in the past.I go to a caravan site at foolow in derbyshire and there is a small pub next to the site called the stags head.I walked in one night exspecting to get a drink and they guy said sorry mate its menbers onley at weekends,I said what do you mean its members onley its a pub not a club,he said its my pub and I make the rules up.I said I onley come here at weekends Im on the caravan site next door,I dont want to drink and drive so I want to come here and have a drink,I thought stuff you Ile go and get some cans and sit in the caravan then,on our way back to the caravan we met the farmer whos feild the caravan is in, he said he was going for a drink in the pub,I said he wont serve me its mebers onley he said rubbish come with me, we walked in with the farmer and he said their with me,the landlord said nothing at all.been loads of times since.I think the manger at the alehouse is just doing the same trying to stop idiots from taking the place over..

I lived on Archer road when I was younger and I used to go in the Sheaf as it was known then and it was a rowdy pub then.it has been through a few changes in the past and it seemed to be getting worse the last time I went in a few years ago,it was always a bussy pub in the past.I go to a caravan site at foolow in derbyshire and there is a small pub next to the site called the stags head.I walked in one night exspecting to get a drink and they guy said sorry mate its menbers onley at weekends,I said what do you mean its members onley its a pub not a club,he said its my pub and I make the rules up.I said I onley come here at weekends Im on the caravan site next door,I dont want to drink and drive so I want to come here and have a drink,I thought stuff you Ile go and get some cans and sit in the caravan then,on our way back to the caravan we met the farmer whos feild the caravan is in, he said he was going for a drink in the pub,I said he wont serve me its mebers onley he said rubbish come with me, we walked in with the farmer and he said their with me,the landlord said nothing at all.been loads of times since.I think the manger at the alehouse is just doing the same trying to stop idiots from taking the place over..

I think that when you went in the sheaf in your younger years it was frequented by people from the fraser council estate and the few private houses going up fraser rd.toward woodseats and the clientele over the years have not changed much.

Since the periwood estate has been built you have a different class of customer with a more defining taste,it could be that the owner has picked up on this and is sorting 'the wheat from the chaffe'so to speak.....................................................what do you think?:confused:

This is priceless, I don't know why I bother paying for a TV license or my sky subscription, Sheffield Forum provides me with way more entertainment than anything on TV.

I'm sure there is probably a mathematical formula that could be worked out to predict how many posts into a new topic before somebody is

a) Bitching

b) Moaning

c) Bitching and moaning

d) Has insulted somebody else

e) Has misunderstood sarcasm

d) All of the above

There only place worse than this is the General discussion forum which seems to have an even higher concentration of comedy material.

Back on topic as I'm likely to get my bottom slapped by one of the moderators. If you like the Ale House and are allowed in then brilliant if you don't or are not a member that's brilliant too as you can spend your money elsewhere.

I hope Thornbridge open a new pub or Emma Harrison rips somebody else off or Brewdog decide to annoy some more CAMRA members so we can have a new topic to..........................................................