Neighbours ferrets -advice needed

I've currently got 12 ferrets (some will be going to new homes soon) and have never had complaints from neighbours. As long as they're kept clean, as with any animal, there is no real smell from them, although being of the skunk family they do possess the ability to 'spray' a musky scent that lingers for a while, but will only do this when they are really alarmed or hurt.

Maxtor, ferrets do perfectly well outside in winter, they prefer it to summer in my experience. Over the 17ish years I've kept ferrets they've never come indoors just because it gets cold, they've grown lovely soft, thick coats :)

Catmiss, the only thing I can suggest is that you express your concerns to your neighbour and see if a compromise can be reached in any way.

I've kept ferrets before and I kept them outside, even in winter...because they smell. I used to grow herbs near the cage/run to help keep the smell down. They do only poo in the same place so it is easy to keep a cage clean.

I'd suggest asking them to move the hutch further away, that must be possible. Do ferrets smell? I've known a couple of people keep them as pets and they were in the house most of the time and I was never aware of a bad smell.

They can do, but I am not sure if this is the male of the species - sounds like they need to be cleaned out more :gag:

grow herbs near the cage/run to help keep the smell down.

Why doesn't the OP try this, abit of lavender or something and you'll be fine.

They can do, but I am not sure if this is the male of the species - sounds like they need to be cleaned out more :gag:

Yes Males smell quite bad in the summer if not neutered.

---------- Post added 24-09-2013 at 18:13 ----------

Why doesn't the OP try this, abit of lavender or something and you'll be fine.

I very much doubt that will work at all, neutering and cleaning out lots is the only way I'm afraid.