Sign in to follow this  

Ever found anything good in a skip?

This evening I found a nearly new Hoover vacuum cleaner in a skip. A bit of messing around with a screwdriver has revealed that all it needs is a new belt. I get a nice new Hoover for next to nothing. Result!

Have other SF user found any good,useful,exciting stuff in skips?

Hoover latest!

Fitted new belt ( cost 80 pence!) and it works a treat.

Ive found lots of great things in skips over the years. An amiga 500 computer, a set of bar stools, a virtually unused skateboard, a boxing nun toy and plenty of wood

About 10 yrs ago we spotted a lovely outdoor wooden table with 3 matching chairs.

Was too chicken to remove it so we went out that night and on the way home from the pub went to 'collect' it. We still have it but wish there'd been a 4th chair.

One person's rubbish is another person's treasure.

And we have the bring your rubbish out day here too and last year during the night people were out rummaging about in other peoples junk.

As I was walking to the car the other week, I noticed a cat sitting on top of the pile in one skip...

Looked a perfectly good cat to me.

My name of skipscrounger on Sheffield Freecycle might be indicative...have found MANY useful things on skips over the years, from good furtnitue all the way through to piles of stone which are useful for the garden. Never found anything really valuable but some of the stuff went to Oxfam. It annoys me that people break up good stuff to put on skips when a little thought would mean it could go to a charity.

Not sure about the legal position--to whom does the stuff in a skip belong? I would have thought the skip firm, they must make something out of recycling materials put on skips.

My dad had a neighbour who bought the old farmhouse and dug up all the setts from the yard. They were just left in a pile for about three years so one night he went round with the barrow and brought a few loads back. He built a doorstep and several garden features out of them. And like most people who live near them, he also used to take two bags when walking the dog, as the crops at the edge of fields are usually not harvested, so he used to help himself to veg.

I know that in some of the towerblocks people leave their unwanted stuff outside and other residents help themselves, which I think is fantastic. 'Spose you'd have to be careful and keep guard if moving all your belongings in though ;)

I've rescued 2 palm plants taller than me out of a skip - I guess someone just got bored of them :rolleyes:

Also found several victorian panelled doors, which stripped down look like new... they're at least £50 to buy from the reclaimation shops.

Always keep our eyes peeled for anything cool in skips.. its amazing what people throw out.

Reduce. Recycle. Resuse!

As I was walking to the car the other week, I noticed a cat sitting on top of the pile in one skip...

Looked a perfectly good cat to me.

:D :D

My dad found my tv in a skip, it worked fine.

Once when I was a kid when we were at the rubbish dump I found a china swan thing (only way it can be described) and I brought that home with me, against my dads wishes, I must admit. It's hideous, I still have it :D

when I was a youngster I dragged home a small organ (not like a liver or kidney or like that!) but when I got it home and after I got a good screaming at and had to drag it back to the curb I discovered why it was out int he trash to begin with! yeah...it didn't work!!!!....

but I have a found VCR's, TV's, Radios, Speakers, all kinds of good stuff...

i once found a medal in a skip about 10 years ago, sold it for a tenner to find out later . it was worth 350 pounds.

A racing bike. All that was required was to re-inflate the tyres and oil the chain.