Old piece of meat in the market

Shogun

I seem to remember one day walking around the old sheaf market with my Dad and he was telling me about this butcher there that kept an old piece of meat hung up at the back of the counter for years because the customer who ordered it did not collect. it was there for many years I can still see it now it was black and crosley hung up on the butcher's hook,has anyone heard about this or know who the butcher was and was it a true story...

I seem to remember one day walking around the old sheaf market with my Dad and he was telling me about this butcher there that kept an old piece of meat hung up at the back of the counter for years because the customer who ordered it did not collect. it was there for many years I can still see it now it was black and crosley hung up on the butcher's hook,has anyone heard about this or know who the butcher was and was it a true story...

I remember that piece of meat, I remember seeing it in the fifties, it must have been over fifty years old then, it was hanging high on one of the steel bars in the butchers shop. Seems a man ordered it promising to call back but didn't, did he get drunk and forget, did he die or was he to embarrassed to call for it the next week.

Was it the real one..who knows what was the original,stories go back to the 1940s, it was in the 1970s when I first saw it hanging there...not very hygenic I would have thought..

I worked in Castle Market 1967/1983 Malcomb Smiths butchers had a piece of meat hung in a glass fronted box over the counter , reputed to be 80 yrs old .

THATS THE WAY TO DO IT.:huh: