Ed Miliband Has Wrecked The Labour Party.

We need a libertarian party in this country. People are sick of paying oodles of taxes to governments who just pocket or squander most of the money. The national government shouldn't be dealing with anything beyond defending our borders. Let county councils, town councils and local neighbourhood groups run public services. That way people can see with their eyes where they tax pounds are going.

A Tory who's prepared to vote for Clarkson, who is in need of a libertarian party?

See your feet are firmly on the ground.

I'm really not a Tory. I've voted Labour more times than I have voted Tory (once vs never). Given a choice at present between the Tories and Labour I would certainly vote Tory though.

Opines?

Harsh stuff in my opinion.

Milliband hasn't really done that much to damage the Labour Party. The current issue with the unions is a thorny one but needs resolving.

He doesn't come across as a convincing leader but then again, neither did Neil Kinnock.

It's a shame John Smith died so young, had he lived, the Labour Party might have taken a somewhat different path.

Two things have undermined the Labour party over the past 20 years, the rise of a new self-interested political class, one that no longer goes into politics for that quaint, old-fashioned reason, to serve the public.

The second thing that damaged the Labour Party was a singularly unpleasant product of that new class, that mendacious weasel Tony Blair.

I'm no fan of the death penalty but surely that war mongering fraud should end his days hanging upside down from a lamp post with his throat slit from ear to ear? His treasonous blood dripping into the gutter.

The original Quisling was tried and executed, why not his spiritual successor?

I'm really not a Tory. I've voted Labour more times than I have voted Tory (once vs never). Given a choice at present between the Tories and Labour I would certainly vote Tory though.

Not according to this post.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8123134&highlight=vote#post8123134

nu labore killed labour, they became Tory lite, middle of the road, the Andy Williams of politics

We need a libertarian party in this country...

So form one.

The success of UKIP suggests that there are a lot of people desperate for an alternative to party to vote for.

So form one.

The success of UKIP suggests that there are a lot of people desperate for an alternative to party to vote for.

but nowhere near enough to win elections, the general public always stick to labour or Tory

but nowhere near enough to win elections, the general public always stick to labour or Tory

In general, the general public can't be bothered to get up and vote.

When was the last time we had more than 50% turnout?

I can't say I blame them though: to vote for the rock or the hard place? What's the point?

I don't have any time for Labour, so my comments are probably not all that relevant, but I find Ed Milliband a completly uninspiring waste if space.

Whilst not a big fan of Tony Blair, I thought he was the more acceptable face of Labour.

The guy I really did have time for was John Smith. I may not have agreed with all his politics, but he struck me as a man of integrity and one I could trust.

Regards

Doom

Apart from being re-elected in the 50's, you mean?

Churchill only won one general election as Tory leader, in 1951. He lost in 45 and 50 and stepped down as PM before the 55 election due to frailty.

You need to change the voting system, then we can vote exactly who we want in.

In general, the general public can't be bothered to get up and vote.

When was the last time we had more than 50% turnout?

in general elections in the uk, turnout has always been over 50% - in the last election it was something like 66% - it has only been below 60% once since the second world war

but you are broadly right - generally speaking turnover in general elections is on an historic downward trend - in the 1990's it was in the mid 70's in percentage terms

i think there is much more apathy than there was - probably due to disillusionment in general with politics and politicians and the lack of anyone with any real charisma or personality - i think a lot of ukip's recent success is due to the personality of their leader as much as anything else - if ed miliband was ukip's leader do you think they would be as successful?

for all tony blair's faults, you can't deny he had both charisma and a strong personality (well, you could, but you'd be wrong) - he was also blessed with a divided and demoralised conservative party

i quite like ed miliband - he doesn't get a fair crack of the media whip, but he doesn't always help himself - the battle with the unions is long overdue - blair was the only leader strong enough and powerful enough to do it and he bottled it - it'll be a long hard battle for milliband, but, for the labour party's sake he needs to be successful

i think he does need to start getting some policies made clearer though - particularly with regard to the economy/taxation/benefits

he hasn't wrecked the labour party though - at least, not all by himself - but, as Happ Hazard posted earlier - there aren't really a lot of serious alternatives - i think it is as well to stick with him for the next general election and, if he isn't successful, they need a clean break with the past and get someone who isn't tainted with the Brown years