Dogs problem..help

Hi,

I am in need of some advise.

My mum has 6 dogs, she has a large house and large garden which is private, she has a large outdoor run for when she nips out and a large stable which 3 go in if she is out for a while (they have beds etc water and so on) the other 3 go in the house.

All her animals are flead wormed and vaccinated also neutered. Does she need some sort of licence for her dogs? Because she has 4 is she classed as a boarding kennel? Even if they are pets?

Basically a letter has come through the post today supposedly from the council saying her dogs bark all the time excessively. She is at home all day baring an hour when she is at work, her dogs bark if someone comes into the garden that shouldn't, knock at the door, or park in her drive when they shouldn't (her new neighbours keep parking In her drive and have said that they can't understand her issue since she dosent use it......)

The letter also says that she needs a license since she has more than 4 dogs. Anything above 4 dogs is classed as boarding and this requires a license. It states that they will be coming to do a spot check with members of the RSPCA and if she does not obtain a license then they will come with a view to removing her dogs.

She has rung the council but ended up confused and upset so I rang them, they asked for a reference number, the letter does not have one, and the phone number is for the generic switchboard not the Environmental department. The person who has signed it apparently does not exist. They had no record against my mums address that anyone had wrote to her. Dispite this she is really really worried and really really upset. Can we actually do anything?

I think it is her new neighbours trying it on because she has had to go around and complain several times about parking in and across her drive, and since they did alterations and moved the bathroom the overflow pipe is constantly pouring water out onto her garden, she keeps asking them to fix it but they wont.

There is an issue with a dog across the street barking all day an night, this then sets another dog further up the street off howling, but neither of these could be classed as being anywhere near my mums.

Anyone got any advice?

I would ignore it if the letter is signed by a person who does not exist.

I don't know about numbers of dogs, but I know someone who has 4 dogs and 2 foster puppies (so that's 6 dogs). Prior to this as well, they had 5 dogs of their own but one had to be PTS sadly. They don't have a license.

If I was you/her I would phone the RSPCA and ask them. State that you've been made concerned by some allegations, and wanted to know about the license thing and if it's true or not.

If her dogs are not barking constantly and for long periods, I wouldn't worry full stop.

I know, from my being accused myself, that the Council are not concerned with dogs barking odd times, like when there's a knock, a window cleaner walks by or other natural things that can't be helped. The only concerns the Council have is if the dog(s) are barking for long periods of times, regularly - like minutes/hours. Then that can be classed as a nuisance.

If I was her, however, I would make myself clear to the neighbours that they do NOT park on her property or blocking it's access. I would also let them know if they do not correct the bathroom's overflow pipe, then you would be taking action against this via the council and/or legal action.

Thanks for that. More or less as I thought.

Its just worrying. She puts up with a hell of a lot from neighbours on either side, I have told her from now on she needs to start writing down the issues. She has approached her neighbour several times about the overflow pipe. She never wants to make a fuss but I will take the matter out of her hands and report it myself if they do not rectify it.

I am really annoyed that they take the mick out of her then do this. I might be wrong about it being them, but since she has lived in the village for 36 years and has lived in the house for 28 years all the other neighbours know her and would come to her if there is a problem.

Thank you!

Yes. If I was her, any problems call 101 and get it logged and recorded.

I have neighbour issues (from parking problems, to them accusing my dog and threatening us) and I work closely with an Officer now that deals with it. He always says, any problems - call 101 and get it recorded and logged. That way it's official, and it's all there and when things happen it can be picked up straight away.

Is the property owned by your mother? Not leasehold or council?

Edit: As far as I am aware, there is no limit for owning dogs that I can see in the UK.

Edited by Elizabeth13

It's someone trying it on, what a nasty thing to do :rant:

If I were you I'd see about getting the driveway gated off with a locked gate and have a postbox put at the gate to minimise anyone coming in.

If you can find out who sent it I'd make it clear to them that you'll report them for harassment. I'm sure the police wouldn't take too kindly to someone impersonating an official body to intimidate someone else.

Edited by vwkittie

It's someone trying it on, what a nasty thing to do :rant:

If I were you I'd see about getting the driveway gated off with a locked gate and have a postbox put at the gate to minimise anyone coming in.

If you can find out who sent it I'd make it clear to them that you'll report them for harassment. I'm sure the police wouldn't take too kindly to someone impersonating an official body to intimidate someone else.

Ha! Well that's the joke her drive is gated!! They have actually opened the gate and parked in. She has a gate at the top, then a gate by the back door. SO they have opened the top gate and pulled up to the bottom one. She already has a postbox by the front door. Her house is detatched in the middle of terraced houses. her front door opens onto the street then her drive and garden run down the side of the house and round the back.

Police is a good idea, I will get her to ring 101. I have been trying the RSPCA but they are apparently busy and cut you off Will keep trying tho.

Apparently, from what I've read, the only way it seems that limits to pets can be applied is if the property is leasehold or council owner. Only then can there be restrictions put on it.

Sounds like some neighbour has been trying it on!

The first thing that your mum needs to do is to get a copy of a removal of implied right of access notice (Google it, it's a standard text which basically says no, you aren't welcome, in legal terms), laminate it and put it up on the gate and then get a really obvious lock or chain to put on the gate which make it plain that opening the gate and parking on the drive is not going to be appreciated.

If there is no recorded complaint against the address then there really should be nothing to worry about and if the dogs are pets rather than fosters, breeding or boarded, but making sure that the neighbours don't walk all over her is still important.

Thank you everyone. She is going to get some signs made for the gates and I have just sent her to find a padlock I believe there are a few in the barn. If not a bike lock will do just to stop them doing it anymore.

The laminated notice is a good idea Medusa, I will google it and get her a copy laminated for the gates too.

VW Kittie you mentioned the police well one of the people down the street who she sees when she is walking the dogs is an officer of some description. Mum went out of her way to bump into her last night, she asked if she had a couple of minutes and told her about the letter and her other issues, she was brilliant and has said that she will do what she can to help. Any more letters claiming to be from the council will be taken seriously and she will investigate them.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Tell your mum to relax as it dont sound like the letter has come from any authorities . if they park on her drive she may be better getting one of those lockable posts to stop them. Before the council would take any further action the must fit recording equipment in your neighbours property to record they antisocial behaveour, so at this point theres no need to worry .

You can get whomever parks on her driveway a parking fine though, if you really wanted to!

That might well teach them to keep off of other peoples property!