Why do up town? It's like Disneyland for tramps.

I doesn't matter what you say because there will always be people the lay around all day doing nothing. No point in getting worked up about it, I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of letting them see they get to you.

Can I suggest a remedy?

One of the first things the council cut when the cash tightened up was the presence, at night and weekends, of the patrolling security officers in the Peace Gardens, Devonshire Green, Midland Station forecourt and connecting streets.

They enforced the byelaws, were a good set of eyes and ears for the cops, could respond to the CCTV information and were a uniformed presence to deter crime and antisocial behavior.

You can complain about the sterility of Meadowhall, but at least its safe, patrolling security officers decent CCTV ensure it.

We should have the same in the City Centre.

Did that for two years back in 2002.Bloody cold in winter.

The devonshire green is a favourite spot of mine and my friend to sit with our starbucks after an afternoon of shopping in the centre, its usually a very busy area with folk in the Forum beer garden and young lads playing footy on the field but when we went the other weekend, we sat on the grass watching the lads kick the ball about and from out of nowhere came a massive group of people, male and female, all swigging cider cans, effing and jeffing at the tops of their voices, the lads had their tops off to reveal emaciated chests!!! they all looked like they needed a good scrub in a bath! they had about three staffordshire bull terriers with them (im not slating the breed of dog, just the breed of people) and they plonked themselves down right next to a young family who was just having a coffee and their little girls were playing nicely and then these, what can only be decribed as the cest pit leaches of society just totally ruined the atmosphere... A young lass walked passed with her baby in a pram and one of the dogs was jumping at the pram and all it's owner did was just shout ''SKY, GI OR SKY, GET ERE SKY, FOR EFFING SAKE SKY, EFFING HELL SKY'' he didnt even try to get hold of it and the poor girl looked petrified.. You would be!!! in the end a big bloke got up from the beer garden and shoed the dog away, the scrubby lad just didnt say anything!!... horrid people! and im sorry, but i dont care what their stories are, where they came from, why they're there, drugs addicts, criminals or not they should be put down!! you would let rabid dogs roam free would you....

Sometimes i wish i was a bloke, a right big hard bloke, a kung fu master or something! If i was i'd of happily gone and roundhouse kicked the lot of them...... and snapped that dogs neck!

Ok im done...... rant over, back to work :-)

I love those 'but how do you know they were druggies?' type comments! Some of us live in the real world and see these people on a regular basis. I suggest you spend a few evenings sitting in a pub in the middle of one of Sheffield's roughest estates, and you'll soon be able to spot the difference between a druggy and someone who genuinely needs 50p for the bus home.

PS...the greasy haired kid, who is shivering and sweating profusely while trying to flog you some bacon, is also a druggy!

Even when he is working on the Butchers section at Morrisons Hillsborough ?

Guest makapaka

What a fantastically snobby thread.

On my walk from work to get a sandwich I must have the opportunity to buy several copies of the Big Issue and donate money to half a dozen beggars. And you always bump into quite a few chaps who look suitably refreshed at a very early time of the day, and seem intent on sitting about drinking and fighting with each other among the shoppers. All in the space of a ten minute walk through the city centre.

Now I know I'm likely to get slated for saying such a thing, but today I realised there's pretty much no point in spending money in town, because the second the new bit is opened the whole area will be over run by this lot, and the general public will simply continue to go to Meadowhall or where ever else. Even all the new nice bits are now getting over run by beggars and street drinkers. Who'd want to open a big shop here?

Are other cities just as bad and I've just not noticed it when I've been walking about?

Can anything even be done about these people? If not, is there really any point in spending huge amounts of cash making a new playground for all the tramps?

Stand by for a roasting !!!

What a fantastically snobby thread.

What a sheltered life you must lead. Switch off the television and get out more.

Why do tramps come to the city centre and not Meadowhall?

I guess they like being outside.

Meadowhall is a big shed. You'd be surprised how many people dont bother with it.

I'd be very surprised if the actual number of homeless, drunks and chuggers was generally higher in Sheffield than any other city; I think it's more a case of Sheffield is not rammed like most other cities are so you notice them more. The reason the council and developers want to do up town is so more people spend money there.

By the way, charming to see a thread about how there are so many homeless people, drunks and drug addicts in town and people's comments on this thread have basically descended in to, 'which shopping centre will I see less of them in?'

God forbid anyone here cares about why these people are in the mess they are in and what we as a society need to do to solve these issues?

Many working class people are in the mess they are in because the rich Industrialists moved their money and heavy industries away from northern places like Sheffield to third World countries.

They did this to take advantage of cheap labour some times paying just a few pence per hour and even employing child labour.

This made our so called upper classes even richer and has resulted in the underclass that is now prevailent in our once industrial heartlands.

Its not the fault of the effected people as this has has been a deliberate strategy brought about by the greed of an uncareing upper class.

Many working class people are in the mess they are in because the rich Industrialists moved their money and heavy industries away from northern places like Sheffield to third World countries.

They did this to take advantage of cheap labour some times paying just a few pence per hour and even employing child labour.

This made our so called upper classes even richer and has resulted in the underclass that is now prevailent in our once industrial heartlands.

Its not the fault of the effected people as this has has been a deliberate strategy brought about by the greed of an uncareing upper class.

Yeah just blame the upper class.

Its always someone else's fault.