Best Wards pubs

In my part of Sheffield anyway; Tea Gardens (Grimesthorpe Road), Crown Inn (Forncett Street)

The landlord's son at the Crown was in my class at All Saints. He used to 'find' 10 Park Drive every now and then which we would smoke on Smith's Field. Not comfortable with snitching even after 56 years so he'll have to remain nameless. :)

The landlord's son at the Crown was in my class at All Saints. He used to 'find' 10 Park Drive every now and then which we would smoke on Smith's Field. Not comfortable with snitching even after 56 years so he'll have to remain nameless. :)

I'm not snitching either but that would be Michael R****

I'm not snitching either but that would be Michael R****

Yeah, lol.

Used to go in the Crown many moons ago,landlord was called Martin and he moved out to Hoyland.

So did we ever decide which current beer is closest in taste to Wards? I doubt there is one, but Banks Bitter has been mentioned on here, I have had that, nice beer but not sure it is like Wards.

Well I've never found a beer that is near as good as Wards was, not even the substitute that was brewed by Jennings tasted much like the original..probably Banks is the only beer that comes anywhere near,I lived in Telford for few years and Bonk's bita as brummies call it was a popular drink there,it was a lot like Wards in taste and smell and needed a good landlord to look after it,one pub the beer would be spot on the next it would be rubbish.

Used to go in the Crown many moons ago,landlord was called Martin and he moved out to Hoyland.

Remember Keith the landlord after him, big muscular (great) guy, used a drive a beer -tanker for Whitbread's ?

Guest sibon

I remember having a pint of WARDS in the White Hart just off Putney bridge London was told by the then manager that there was three pubs selling WARDS in London.

I used to go in The White Hart regularly when I was in London in the 80s. Just to drink Wards:)

The best wards pubs that I can recall are the Domino, the Red Lion and The Royal Standard.

Top marks to anyone who drank regularly in The Target:D

I used to go in The White Hart regularly when I was in London in the 80s. Just to drink Wards:)

The best wards pubs that I can recall are the Domino, the Red Lion and The Royal Standard.

Top marks to anyone who drank regularly in The Target:D

yes i agree ,DOMINO, i worked there in the 70s.loved it ..:love:

So did we ever decide which current beer is closest in taste to Wards? I doubt there is one, but Banks Bitter has been mentioned on here, I have had that, nice beer but not sure it is like Wards.

I dont think any beer can come close to wards.

I dont think any beer can come close to wards.

Well as I said earlier in the thread, maybe a local brewery like Abbeydale, or Kelham Island, could get the original recipe and use local water to try and recreate something close to the Wards taste.

Failing that, any recommendations for a malty ale would be great. Seem to be plenty of IPA's and Blondes out there, plus dark beer like Hobgoblin, but a really good malt ale seems a bit rarer.

Well as I said earlier in the thread, maybe a local brewery like Abbeydale, or Kelham Island, could get the original recipe and use local water to try and recreate something close to the Wards taste.

Failing that, any recommendations for a malty ale would be great. Seem to be plenty of IPA's and Blondes out there, plus dark beer like Hobgoblin, but a really good malt ale seems a bit rarer.

Yes you dont see that many malty beers, although http://donnington-brewery.com/ in the Cotswolds do a rather malty beer.