Fracking in Sheffield?

The views of Natascha Engel, Labour MP for North East Derbyshire on proposals for fracking near Eckington. Goes directly against Labour party policy and will be something of a slap in the face for the majority of local residents opposed to fracking.

https://nataschaengel.com/fracking/

The views of Natascha Engel, Labour MP for North East Derbyshire on proposals for fracking near Eckington. Goes directly against Labour party policy and will be something of a slap in the face for the majority of local residents opposed to fracking.

Thank you for providing a link to a well reasoned account.

An example of a prospective MP explaining their position rather than following sheep.

And without resorting to "...slap in the face ..." arguments.

The video is misleading in that it shows the shale being fractured to be near the surface and the fractures themselves are way out of scale. The fractures extend from a few centimeters, to the top of the shale being fracked. Above the shale there will be an impermeable layer (otherwise the gas will have permeated out as it formed) The gas bearing shales are generally thousands of feet deep, although coal bed methane is shallower. Horizontal drilling allows rigs to be positioned in less sensitive areas, such as in Wytch farm in Dorset where millions of barrels of oil have been extracted from wells in the Jurassic Coast world heritage site near and under Poole Harbour. The rigs are on site for a few weeks then move on leaving a small valve system. There have been more than 2000 wells drilled on land in the UK, that's more than one per town, have you ever seen one? No, because the oil companies are aware of the sensitivity of hydrocarbon exploration on land and take great care to cause minimum disruption. Shale gas development will bring jobs, revenue for the government and increase the standard of living for everyone. Bring it on I say.

Thank you for providing a link to a well reasoned account.

An example of a prospective MP explaining their position rather than following sheep.

And without resorting to "...slap in the face ..." arguments.

You do realise that she's only going to get thrashed even harder because of this don't you? Tories are heavily targeting North East Derbyshire, and they know when to keep their mouths shut on this subject.

You do realise that she's only going to get thrashed even harder because of this don't you? Tories are heavily targeting North East Derbyshire, and they know when to keep their mouths shut on this subject.

So the party that has been an advocate and actively promotes fracking as a policy is going to "...keep their mouths shut..." and no one in the area is going to notice? what their national policy is?

At least one MP is trying to explain their position and not resorting to slapstick.

The video is misleading in that it shows the shale being fractured to be near the surface and the fractures themselves are way out of scale. The fractures extend from a few centimeters, to the top of the shale being fracked. Above the shale there will be an impermeable layer (otherwise the gas will have permeated out as it formed).

I'm pro-fracking too, but just a one scientific point. It's the shale that's impermeable. That's why it needs fracking to release the hydrocarbons within it, it has high porosity, but low permeability. The layers above it could be either permeable or impermeable depending on local geology.

However, with a thousand feet or more above it any rock layers above it would be effectively impermeable.

Edited by Grietje

A well written explanation which echoes the reasoning expressed to me by a career geologist friend with 50 years international active experience to rely on.

Natascha is a brave lady to take this line, especially as her constituency must be considered marginal in the current election. If in her constituency I might vote for her honesty, if not for her party.

Those living near a fracking site need protection nevertheless, and that's what she seems to be trying constructively to achieve.

So the party that has been an advocate and actively promotes fracking as a policy is going to "...keep their mouths shut..." and no one in the area is going to notice? what their national policy is?

At least one MP is trying to explain their position and not resorting to slapstick.

Dronfield Conservatives have made a point of opposing the fracking proposal!

The fact that this policy is in direct contradiction of Westminster Tory policy is yet to catch up with them. And the Tory candidate for North East Derbyshire is not mentioning the issue much.

Dronfield Conservatives have made a point of opposing the fracking proposal!

The fact that this policy is in direct contradiction of Westminster Tory policy is yet to catch up with them. And the Tory candidate for North East Derbyshire is not mentioning the issue much.

Dronfield Conservatives versus Theresa May. The result is...

A"...candidate for North East Derbyshire is not mentioning the issue much." versus a candidate who goes into great detail on why they have a viewpoint on fracking. The best candidate is...

Dronfield Conservatives versus Theresa May. The result is...

A"...candidate for North East Derbyshire is not mentioning the issue much." versus a candidate who goes into great detail on why they have a viewpoint on fracking. The best candidate is...

A loaded question with the answer you might be wishing for certain to get less votes as a result of this.

Regardless of your political viewpoint, there's no getting round the fact that politics in 2017 is a sickly, unjust beast.

I find this quite clever. Whilst sticking to her opinion on fracking, she has covered the whole spectrum of her constituents in a way quite beneficial to gaining votes. "I am not against fracking" - could go down well with the like-minded. "I totally agree with the green campaigners" - so that's taken care of them. As for the majority - not in the firing line but with reservations, her research assures us of no proven safety issues. And a "massive expansion creating jobs" (as opposed to loss of jobs if fracking doesn't happen) has to be good for a few votes. And for those on the door step and most affected - her concerns over lorry movements - quickly explained away that disruption won't be on-going. In addition "compensation paid to locally affected residents", a Community Liaison Group (which always gives the hope that something is being done) to fight for a "shale bus", "free energy for all homes within a certain radius", "INEOS to work with Eckington School" and "to pay for local people to train as lorry drivers". All winners to some who can't see further than the end of their nose if there's "summat for nothing". So a few more won over there? I don't doubt that Natascha is hardworking in the care of her constituents but I don't see how she would ever be in a position of being a lone voice against her party when as a Deputy Speaker, she can no longer vote or take part in debates on any issues.

I find this quite clever. Whilst sticking to her opinion on fracking, she has covered the whole spectrum of her constituents in a way quite beneficial to gaining votes. "I am not against fracking" - could go down well with the like-minded. "I totally agree with the green campaigners" - so that's taken care of them. As for the majority - not in the firing line but with reservations, her research assures us of no proven safety issues. And a "massive expansion creating jobs" (as opposed to loss of jobs if fracking doesn't happen) has to be good for a few votes. And for those on the door step and most affected - her concerns over lorry movements - quickly explained away that disruption won't be on-going. In addition "compensation paid to locally affected residents", a Community Liaison Group (which always gives the hope that something is being done) to fight for a "shale bus", "free energy for all homes within a certain radius", "INEOS to work with Eckington School" and "to pay for local people to train as lorry drivers". All winners to some who can't see further than the end of their nose if there's "summat for nothing". So a few more won over there? I don't doubt that Natascha is hardworking in the care of her constituents but I don't see how she would ever be in a position of being a lone voice against her party when as a Deputy Speaker, she can no longer vote or take part in debates on any issues.

I have been keenly monitoring the reaction to this on Tw@tter and the anti-fracking campaigners and local residents responding to this are in no way "taken care of" or appeased. Quite the opposite in fact!

I think she (and INEOS) will have to show a lot more of their research to local residents to get them anywhere close to accepting fracking. And I don't think a couple of extra buses a day will be enough to bring Marsh Lane residents round to Engels point of view.