Fracking in Sheffield?

Everyone will have a battery the size of an archive box in their garage or loft. It will store enough energy to power their house and car for several days.

What about forgemasters?

What about forgemasters?

Offshore wind farms and solar farms (like those springing up by the side of the M1) will still feed a stripped down national grid for industry

Everyone will have a battery the size of an archive box in their garage or loft. It will store enough energy to power their house and car for several days.

And the pollution caused by all these batteries, they need to be made and then disposed of, how do you get around that?

Offshore wind farms and solar farms (like those springing up by the side of the M1) will still feed a stripped down national grid for industry

How's that going to work when it's dark and not windy?

How's that going to work when it's dark and not windy?

Pumped Hydro storage maybe?

I'd agree that battery technology is just not there yet, and probably never will be.

I think we need to frack, but we also need to invest in more than solar and wind.

We need to look into tidal production, hydrogen fuel cells and invest heavily in fusion.

The government is trying very hard to force us off fossil fuels, but until they come up with a way that a personal vehicle can be charged / ready to go as quickly as it can be refueled with fossil fuels, then they are on to a loser.

They are using punitive taxes to change the company cars we pick though. I've driven a Hybrid co car for the last 5 years, and by 2020 the income tax I pay on it will more than double.

This might backfire on them though, as if I take a car allowance and save the income tax, I'll probably buy another V8 to use as a daily driver.

Pumped Hydro storage maybe?

I'd agree that battery technology is just not there yet, and probably never will be.

I think we need to frack, but we also need to invest in more than solar and wind.

We need to look into tidal production, hydrogen fuel cells and invest heavily in fusion.

The government is trying very hard to force us off fossil fuels, but until they come up with a way that a personal vehicle can be charged / ready to go as quickly as it can be refueled with fossil fuels, then they are on to a loser.

They are using punitive taxes to change the company cars we pick though. I've driven a Hybrid co car for the last 5 years, and by 2020 the income tax I pay on it will more than double.

This might backfire on them though, as if I take a car allowance and save the income tax, I'll probably buy another V8 to use as a daily driver.

Do we have the capacity in pumped hydro?

Tell me about company cars..:) I've had one for almost 40 years (not the same one you understand :) ) The gov. of whatever colour just use them as a cash cow... used to be if you did more than 20k business miles/year you hardly paid anything,mine now takes up over half my tax allowance and it's nothing out of the ordinary..

Do we have the capacity in pumped hydro?

Tell me about company cars..:) I've had one for almost 40 years (not the same one you understand :) ) The gov. of whatever colour just use them as a cash cow... used to be if you did more than 20k business miles/year you hardly paid anything,mine now takes up over half my tax allowance and it's nothing out of the ordinary..

We've got no where near the capacity for pumped hydro, but that doesn't mean we can't build it.

I too have had company cars (only for the last 30 years though), but I'm seriously thinking of ditching mine and buying a (third) gas guzzler to go alongside the TVR and the Range Rover.

I think a lot of people will opt out of co car schemes, buying older, less efficient cars.

This will not only have an environmental impact (not that I believe in global wombling), but also an adverse effect on the motor industry in the country.

Another ill-advised policy like the rush for diesel due to CO2 emissions.

PS, one of the area they want to frack is a couple of miles from me, and I'm quite happy for them to come in and get on with it.

There are lots of smaller regional schemes in the pipeline:

Boost for Wyre tidal barrage plans

https://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/news/environment/boost-for-tidal-barrage-plans-1-8963472

Labour backs £1.5bn tidal energy plan on the Mersey

https://www.ft.com/content/1a3829c6-2126-11e8-9efc-0cd3483b8b80

---------- Post added 09-03-2018 at 10:20 ----------

PS, one of the area they want to frack is a couple of miles from me, and I'm quite happy for them to come in and get on with it.

In some strange co-incidence I've lived near three frack sites, one defunct and two long running. And I've never had an issue with it either. I didn't even know they existed until they came up in a news report when protesters were fighting a new site. My water hasn't been poisoned, gas hasn't shot out of my taps, nor has my house fallen down through earthquakes. Where were these protesters when British Gas was doing the fracking? Or when the oil fields were sunk in Lincolnshire in the past?

Seems to me like they just hate the modern names Cuadrilla or iGas.

Edited by alchresearch

We've got no where near the capacity for pumped hydro, but that doesn't mean we can't build it.

I too have had company cars (only for the last 30 years though), but I'm seriously thinking of ditching mine and buying a (third) gas guzzler to go alongside the TVR and the Range Rover.

I think a lot of people will opt out of co car schemes, buying older, less efficient cars.

This will not only have an environmental impact (not that I believe in global wombling), but also an adverse effect on the motor industry in the country.

Another ill-advised policy like the rush for diesel due to CO2 emissions.

Don't think my company will consider us opting out..it'd cost them far more than the amount they pay to lease them...

---------- Post added 09-03-2018 at 10:30 ----------

There are lots of smaller regional schemes in the pipeline:

Boost for Wyre tidal barrage plans

https://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/news/environment/boost-for-tidal-barrage-plans-1-8963472

Labour backs £1.5bn tidal energy plan on the Mersey

https://www.ft.com/content/1a3829c6-2126-11e8-9efc-0cd3483b8b80

---------- Post added 09-03-2018 at 10:20 ----------

In some strange co-incidence I've lived near three frack sites, one defunct and two long running. And I've never had an issue with it either. I didn't even know they existed until they came up in a news report when protesters were fighting a new site. My water hasn't been poisoned, gas hasn't shot out of my taps, nor has my house fallen down through earthquakes. Where were these protesters when British Gas was doing the fracking? Or when the oil fields were sunk in Lincolnshire in the past?

Seems to me like they just hate the modern names Cuadrilla or iGas.

I'm not knocking renewables ..just saying that I don't think we'll ever get the capacity to run totally on them ..

looking at this

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Current demand (no pun intended) is about 44GW

Wind is providing 1.4GW and solar 2.5GW

That's a huge discrepancy and Dan_Ashcroft wants to use renewables to run the system and produce enough extra to be able to recharge batteries for the dark,still times... and as for running it all on batteries.. even the quiet time say 23:00to 06:00 the demand is still about 30GW so we'd be looking at at 210GWh battery storage just to carry us through the night that's how much extra we'd have to produce over and above the daily useage..

Edited by truman

So the government have sided with the company to allow them to go ahead with the test drilling. What a surprise.

Pumped storage schemes have very little potential in the UK and are wrongly trundled out as a solution to the inability of renewables to provide reliable power.

They are even less attractive as economic propositions since Nuclear and Coal have declined in favour of Gas Turbine. Also "kettle" demand has smoothed out considerable.

Collecting and delivering low power to remote pumped storage schemes is inefficient.

The main use of Stwlan/Dinorwig for frequency control which is critical and a genuine factor in the plan for nuclear reactor(s) at Wylfa Newydd.

The catastrophic environmental damage caused by the Dinorwig scheme would not be acceptable nowadays as was established in the preliminary inquiry into Longdendale nearly forty years ago.

Tidal lagoon PS schemes have not been shown to have any practical worth.

So the government have sided with the company to allow them to go ahead with the test drilling. What a surprise.

Too much money involved for them to stop the test drill sites.We need fuel from somewhere but will it yield any profits because it seems an expensive way to go.