Good idea to move the 2022 world cup to the winter?

melthebell

• 1 month later...

I don't see why the world cup cannot be moved to the winter, or played at different times suitable for different places ... it is the "world" cup after all ... BUT ...

The bid was for the competition in Summer 2022, not for the competition at a time suitable for the winning bidder in 2022.

This was quite apparent from what was said at the time of the bid, and all the talk about air-conditioned stadiums.

If I was to win a bid for a rail network but then said "oops, I've got no trains will coaches do?" the losing bidders, and coach companies that didn't bid, would have every right to be peeved if compromises were made for me. Ditto now with the FIFA and the World Cup.

By all means allow bids from countries on the basis that it can be held in winter OR summer, but that should be known before the bidding process not after.

Retrospectively changing the bid is morally wrong since it shut the door on countries that would have bid. It reeks of corruption and incompetence.

terrible for football on the whole, puts almost the whole calendar of fixtures out, unless they have some rediculous format were leagues continue and the better teams miss there better palyers!!

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 11:45 ----------

bad news if so, but it is also rediculous to play n that heat

they were suggesting in the times this morning that the world cup could be played in november and december - after the group stages of the champions league but before the knockout rounds - it would mean starting the season a few weeks earlier and finishing it a few weeks later with the FA cup final in June

i can see the logic in this - apparently they can't hold it in January/February because it clashes with the winter olympics and one group of free loaders don't want to upset another group of free loaders, so november/december is the only alternative to admitting that they cocked up

it would mean starting the season a few weeks earlier and finishing it a few weeks later with the FA cup final in June

Would actually be held in July as in all of June virtually no domestic football can be played - the FA's own rules.

you obviously know more than the times does!

any idea why they have this rule? - presumably it can be amended in exceptional circumstances - it wouldn't make sense to have the FA cup final at the start of the following season!

If they can move the World Cup, they can move the domestic time table. 9 years is a long time away.

any idea why they have this rule? - presumably it can be amended in exceptional circumstances

http://nav.thefa.com/sitecore/content/TheFA/Home/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2008/close_season

The FA could make "an order to the contrary" but I doubt that it would.

it wouldn't make sense to have the FA cup final at the start of the following season!

Which is what happened to the so-called Super Cup (something for the six clubs who would have qualified for the European club competitions in the 1985/6 season to take part in - but no-one really cared about).

The biggest challenge to moving the tournament is not going to come from the clubs, but from the media.

20th Century Fox have just signed the biggest ever TV deal for a World Cup in the whole American continent. They supply the US, Canada and Australia, three huge FIFA target markets. They are reportedly seeking a re-negotiation on the deal, as they were not expecting to have to compete with the Superbowl and the Winter Olympics in 2022.