Good idea to move the 2022 world cup to the winter?

Have the competition in summer but play all the matches at night. That would avoid the heat of the day, with an added bonus; by having all the matches at about 3:00 am then the rest of us that don't care for football will not have our TV viewing and visits to the pub spoiled so much. Sounds like a win win solution, though probably not populasr as winning is not something the England team is used to.

I can't see much of an alternative to moving the competition to winter - they could take it away from Qatar, but that would be admitting they got it wrong in the first place

part of the Qatar bid was that the matches would be played in air conditioned stadia - have they abandoned this now? if so, FIFA could use this as a reason for moving it somewhere else

holding it in winter is probably the best of a bad job for FIFA

I'd have thought the whole thorny issue of when they can actually host the World Cup without Scandinavians bursting into flames whilst walking to the match MIGHT have been sorted out before awarding them the World Cup. FIFA stinks.

Move it to a country that has something to do with football, rather than money and oil.

Have the competition in summer but play all the matches at night. That would avoid the heat of the day, .....

I've worked in the Gulf (Bahrain, U.A.E.) in June-July and believe me it's incredibly humid & sticky at night ... and I was on the coast with a breeze ...

They have to move it to Winter cos just a mere stroll 10 yards and you're soaked in sweat ...

Came back to a UK 'heatwave' and I put a sweatshirt on and the heating on :P

"a bit of upheaval" ?

Sorry Mel but you're being very naive here. they want to destroy our national game for monetary gain.

Giving them the world cup has to be the most corrupt decision ever. It's jaw droppingly stupid.

"a bit of upheaval" ?

Sorry Mel but you're being very naive here. they want to destroy our national game for monetary gain.

Giving them the world cup has to be the most corrupt decision ever. It's jaw droppingly stupid.

I don't even follow England anymore. It's all gonads.

Better idea is to take it away from Qatar.

:clap::clap::banana::banana:

I don't see why the world cup cannot be moved to the winter, or played at different times suitable for different places ... it is the "world" cup after all ... BUT ...

The bid was for the competition in Summer 2022, not for the competition at a time suitable for the winning bidder in 2022.

This was quite apparent from what was said at the time of the bid, and all the talk about air-conditioned stadiums.

If I was to win a bid for a rail network but then said "oops, I've got no trains will coaches do?" the losing bidders, and coach companies that didn't bid, would have every right to be peeved if compromises were made for me. Ditto now with the FIFA and the World Cup.

By all means allow bids from countries on the basis that it can be held in winter OR summer, but that should be known before the bidding process not after.

Retrospectively changing the bid is morally wrong since it shut the door on countries that would have bid. It reeks of corruption and incompetence.

terrible for football on the whole, puts almost the whole calendar of fixtures out, unless they have some rediculous format were leagues continue and the better teams miss there better palyers!!

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 11:45 ----------

bad news if so, but it is also rediculous to play n that heat