Twitter taking over

I saw something on twitter tonight, to be honest I have looked for link but for the life of me I can't find it.

It basically said Forums around the world had seen a serious downturn in users and hit's since Twitter became more active over the last couple of years, has anyone else noticed this on here ? I must admit it is very quiet on here these day's.

I've noticed certain forums i use losing a lot of members to facebook groups. I don't use twitter.

where as the forums i use are losing people to google+

I suppose it could be all sorts of things taking over but it's all the same type of thing...

Forums seem a bit old fashioned now.

i have never bothered with twitter though. itsd just not designed for conversation.

i have never bothered with twitter though. itsd just not designed for conversation.

I find it really informative and up to the second news, like forums used to be...

See something trending happy day's, it's takes hours for people to find things out compared to twitter to be honest.

Correct Corkers

Sheffield Forum...

Most users ever online was 3,646, 03-07-2011 at 20:28

Currently active users 594 (75 members and 519 guests)

Facebook and Twitter has been the death of smaller forums...no question about it.

I doubt Sheffield Forum will suffer the same fate.....just yet anyway.

At half midnight...

It peaked two years ago,

Most users ever online was 3,646, 03-07-2011 at 20:28

Lets see what it is tonight at 20:28

...Most users ever online was 3,646, 03-07-2011 at 20:28

Currently active users 594 (75 members and 519 guests)

I don't think the 2011 figure is particularly representative of user activity of that period; if I recall correctly, it was due to external shenanigans resulting in an excessive number of bots, or some such automated thing, visiting the site. If my memory is playing tricks, there was certainly a similarly high number recorded, some time ago, which represented an abnormal blip in activity due to the factors mentioned above.

The figure for 'guests' isn't necessarily representative of human activity either; much of it will be made up of search engine bots/spiders/whatnots as well as folk who just haven't logged in.

Seventy-five logged in members isn't too shabby for half-past midnight, and neither is 141 members (the current figure) for 9 am on a work day morning.

Google site analytics/Alexa, or whatever's the current in vogue site monitoring service, might give a better indication of the average number of users visiting SF over a given period. A useful indicator of the site's activity - and of its usefulness - might be to look at what happens on the forum in response to a major event: the earthquake of 2007 resulted in hundreds of log-ins at 1am as folk rushed to sign in for up-to-date information, and the fire at the weekend generated quite the thread.

Edited by Guest

I think part of the problem is that FB and Twitter work perfectly on computer, tablet or phone. Vbulletin based forums are now looking rather old and dated.