Do we really need all the 'stuff' we have in life?

I'm also not convinced that people have been inventing things for longer than capitalism has existed, exchanging surplus goods through barter is forerunner of what we now call capitalism.
Did you mean that to read

"I'm also not convinced that people have been inventing things for longer than capitalism has existed"

instead?

There is a clear difference between "inventing something" and "exploiting the invented something commercially". The concept of 'inventing for profit' lies much closer to the second than the first, as the economical motive guides the problem-solving, rather than the technical motive.

Which goes most of the way to explain why so many patent applications for economically-motivated 'inventions' fail, and why most patent applications for solutions to technical problems succeed (even though patents are, historically, and paradoxically, an intrinsic by-product of evolving capitalism).

People have been inventing things for far longer than capitalism has existed, even under as simplistic a form as a barter-based economy. People (as opposed to market-driven corporate entities) have been, and still are, by and large, "inventing things" (often just re-inventing or improving, really) out of necessity, rather than purely for commercial motives.

Yes I agree, and I thank her for that too, because Cavegirl and I did converse on occasions, and even though we held a different view on a subject where she held the advantage over me with her better informed knowledge, there wasn't a trace of arrogance from her.

It's totally cool and natural to have different perspectives to other people. In fact, it's probably a sign of insecurity, when people need others to share their own perspectives, as if that somehow kind of validates their own position.

Anyhow, sorry, back on topic... :-)

Edited by Waldo

It's totally cool and natural to have different perspectives to other people.. In fact, it's probably a sign of insecurity, when people need others to share their own perspectives, as if that somehow kind of validates their own position.

Yes it is. If we all thought the same about everything wouldn't life be boring.

I don't usually have a problem with expressing an opinion different to anyone else, but I can be sensitive when someone bearing a grudge, retaliates later with a personal stinging insult that has nothing to do with the thread topic.

But that's part of my own recent encounter on SF and nothing to do with this topic or any one else's experience.

Cavegirl has had some nice gestures paid to her since announcing her departure, if she likes that Drifters song posted earlier, she'll come back later.:)

Edited by janie48

<...>she'll come back later
...most probably once she's back from her holidays - who'd want to log on and post on here whilst sipping needless Margaritas and needlessly enjoying nice sunsets (and no, I don't actually know if she is on hols or not - but that's my bet ;):D)

It's totally cool and natural to have different perspectives to other people. In fact, it's probably a sign of insecurity, when people need others to share their own perspectives, as if that somehow kind of validates their own position.

I do find it a little disingenuous when someone leaves because someone else won't accept their opinion... Don't they recognise the irony in sticking to their own opinion so strongly?

I don't know Cyclone, maybe there is other stuff going on in her life, maybe she just wasn't getting anything out of the forum? I sometimes find it (SF) a pain in butt and need a rest for bit (usually I ban myself, block the SF url in my router etc).

It is interesting though, how people react (myself included) when our views are challenged by others. I think if done a certain way, it's a very good thing, and gives us the opportunity to reassess and evaluate our own position etc. However, sometimes it's just arguing for the sake of arguing and being seen to be 'right' and superior etc; which of course is a load of tosh and a bind.

I liked her posts; maybe she'll come back? Who knows. Good luck to her in any case. :-)