Train announcement makes Sheffield sound like a den of thieves

I caught the train from York to Sheffield today and as we arrived into Sheffield station the train manager said the usual 'careful when alighting from the train, bla bla bla' but then, as a warning to us all, she added 'be careful of your belongings as pick pockets are operating in this area'. What a poor impression to make for anyone on that train arriving or passing through Sheffield. We'd passed through Leeds and Wakefield with no similar warnings.

Once I'd survived the muggers and light fingered scum that were plaguing all the platforms (!), I had a word with the station staff who said they'd not heard of any issues. I'm at the station tomorrow and plan to ask the transport police if we've an issue. Once I've chatted with the transport coppers I'll get in touch with cross country.

I'm proud of this city and I'm on a mission to clear our name from this misguided train lady. Maybe she's got a vendetta against sunny Sheffield, maybe someone from Sheffield once dumped her, who knows, but has anyone else experienced this????

* UPDATE from transport police on post #16

Edited by hutch_uk

Not been on recently but there was a problem at one time so bad there were posters up.

Sounds like pro ticket barrier propaganda!

You've only ever heard that message on the approach to Sheffield? I travel on trains a moderate amount of time and I've heard it plenty, in many different towns and cities.

Yes, only on the approach to Sheffield. I work all over and use trains regularly to travel to Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, York, Doncaster etc etc (Castleford beckons tomorrow) and I'm yet to hear a pick pocket announcement for any of these destinations. I've heard it before on the approach to Sheffield and that was with the same train operator. Will post an update from the transport police once I've had a natter tomorrow.

---------- Post added 09-07-2013 at 23:20 ----------

Maybe I'm more sensitive to the announcement as it makes this home city sound like it's infested by crime, whereas it's officially the happiest city in the UK - woo!

You get it at many big city stations - there were tannoy announcements at Sheffield for quite a while and posters warning you about it too.

has anyone else experienced this????

As someone who seems to be on trains far too often, I can't say I have.

Once I'd survived the muggers and light fingered scum that were plaguing all the platforms (!)

I didn't think there were any RPIs or G4S staff on Sheffield station :hihi::hihi::hihi:

it just shows we like to look after our visitors when they come.

At one time the station itself was playing a similar announcement about pickpockets, also heard it at Nottingham.

Look at it a different way, we all know pickpockets will be working all big stations maybe you should be proud that In Sheffield we are being proactive and making our visitors aware of the risk whereas other cities are obviously not too bothered.

Surely it's a good thing that people are warned because it does happen at the station! Plus you won't notice them until it's too late!