Christmas Illuminations

I remember the very first year of Sheffield illuminations, think it was 1960/61. A school friend and I walked from the bottom of The Moor to look at them and a photographer from

The star newspaper took our photo for The Star and asked what we thought about the illuminations.My friend was quoted in the newspaper as saying "We think they're smashing"!

I well remember Santa's Grotto at the bottom of The Moor -it seemed enormous and magical at the time.

Santa's Grotto - don't why people on here keep saying it was at the bottom of the Moor, it was situated between where ' The Works ' bookshop and ' Dixons ' used to be in the 60's

oposite the ' Old Woolworth's ' when the shop assistants use to have to send the money taken over the counter upstairs by air tubes - money was put in brass tubes.

Santa's Grotto - don't why people on here keep saying it was at the bottom of the Moor, it was situated between where ' The Works ' bookshop and ' Dixons ' used to be in the 60's

oposite the ' Old Woolworth's ' when the shop assistants use to have to send the money taken over the counter upstairs by air tubes - money was put in brass tubes.

I thought it was further down on the left hand side, near to where the new market is. I must have been 4 years old though so that makes it 40 years ago. Yikes!!

The outdoor grotto (with real trees) I remember was between Young Street & Thomas Street on the L/H side heading up the Moor, more or less opposite the top of Hereford Street.

It was sited on waste land that was created after the 1940 blitz, and was next to the row of temporary shops that were built after the war.

Right hand side in this picturesheffield photo

i guess that they would be even more expensive now given that they have to be up for a longer period to celebrate other religious festivals?

leicester have there up from october right through to Jan.

Did u read the speech(facebook) by the Oz P.M finaly someone with BALLS and it had to be a women:D:D:love:

Oh this never fails to impress me and evoke happy memories. Thank you.

Ditto............ can we have some more please ?

I'll always remember the massive crowns, they were wonderful. Has anybody got a picture of them ?