Old sharrow memories

Hi Chris

Yes I remember the song well, happier and simpler times than today's. Cub night was always on a Wednesday night if I remember and as you say we used to go either to the chippy after or Mrs Tudor's shop and probably buy a bag of tiger nuts. Remember when we had the two day expedition to Ecllesall Woods one school holiday, you, me and Fungi, taking the wood, hammer and nails with us on the bus to build a tree house there. That's where your DIY career started Chris!

Best regards

Leipzig

"Club Garden chippy for a "6 of mixed" (chips ,scraps and mushy peas)

was this the one called tonys?

On 25/09/2014 at 17:33, chrisdiy said:

I'm Chris ex of the 139th!,cubs and scouts 1950/60` s along with my 2 older brothers (David and Richard) .When ever I think of the 139th I remember a little ditty something like

"We are the 139 far, far away,

We live on bread and jam 3 times a day,

Eggs and bacon we don`t see,

We have sawdust in our tea, etc.

After meetings it was always over to "Club Garden chippy for a "6 of mixed" (chips ,scraps and mushy peas) run by Wilczynski (my dad's Polish and they were mates).just like " leonr2z"!

We are one big family fading away.......fading away .....fading away........

I remember being on a weekend camp  with you at Hesley Woods when we were taking part in a night time wide game. You were also in the Army cadets or something and taught us some silent jungle  tactics. We were never caught because everyone else had turned in for the night and we were still hiding under bushes🤣😂😂

Your cubs and scouts kept a trail wagon (handcart to you) in the yard behind No 7 Fentonville St where your Arkela or Scout Leader lived. There was a Toc H sign outside his house.  I lived at No 64 and went to Sunday School at St Johns but later joined the Cubs at St Andrews. I was christened in 1942 at St Johns, the church that is now a Tesco. I wonder if they'd give me a discount? I used to love Parade Sundays and Whitsuntide Parades. Drums and bugles. Fantastic!

31 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

Your cubs and scouts kept a trail wagon (handcart to you) in the yard behind No 7 Fentonville St where your Arkela or Scout Leader lived. There was a Toc H sign outside his house.  I lived at No 64 and went to Sunday School at St Johns but later joined the Cubs at St Andrews. I was christened in 1942 at St Johns, the church that is now a Tesco. I wonder if they'd give me a discount? I used to love Parade Sundays and Whitsuntide Parades. Drums and bugles. Fantastic!

did you know the Baker family that lived about opposite

number 7

On 26/09/2014 at 00:56, suzyoo said:

"Club Garden chippy for a "6 of mixed" (chips ,scraps and mushy peas)

was this the one called tonys?

Hi Suzyoo,

I never lived in Sharrow but my maternal grand parents did, on Hobart Street and mum and I would often visit them on a Saturday and inevitably buy fish and chips from that chippy.

My auntie, uncle and cousin also lived on Sharrow Lane close to where Fentonville Street joins it and so I spent many a happy childhood hour around those parts.

echo.

Edited by echo beach

On 31/01/2024 at 21:30, MICK BADGER said:

did you know the Baker family that lived about opposite

number 7

The name rings a bell but I can't recall anyone in my age group during my 19 years there. You are probably referring to the house on the corner of Fentonville and Croydon St. I have a feeling the children there were in a different age group to the core group of youngsters born in the War years who have by and large stayed in touch....and the survivors still meet up from time to time.