Curry's say I can't return the laptop I bought for my dad 10 days ago?

If I were you, I wouldn't take what they are saying, or their returns policy as gospel. Take it as far as you can. Threaten them with local press exposure and let them know that you are contacting trading standards as well as your local MP.

On paper, they're probably correct not to accept your return, but don't leave it there. The customer always gets what they want if they kick and scream loud enough!

No you are not. You are wrong.

Why have you been with me when I have returned stuff, or do work for Curry's by any chance, or just another Barrackroom lawyer. :hihi:

I think you will find she is allowed to return the goods undamaged and with a receipt, with out an excuse or all the technical jargon, I have taken certain items back to certain shops in my time and there's never been a problem.:huh:

There is no legal right to return unless faulty.

Shops that allow returns do it as good will.

I think you will find she is allowed to return the goods undamaged and with a receipt, with out an excuse or all the technical jargon, I have taken certain items back to certain shops in my time and there's never been a problem.:huh:

The goods are now second hand..it's been opened and turned on ..would you be happy to pay full price for this if it was put back on sale in the shop?...the company may accept a return but they aren't bound by law to do so..

Yes you are quite correct - Currys have a returns policy which allows exactly that BUT in unused condition with all software still sealed.

Please advise how they can test the speakers without using it?

Hence it can't be returned.

Why have you been with me when I have returned stuff, or do work for Curry's by any chance, or just another Barrackroom lawyer. :hihi:

Wex has a habit of being correct, every time!

Maybe it depends on the shop you're returning goods too? Maybe the staff/managers in certain branches of Curry's use more discretion when it comes to the return policy??

You're not wrong though!

There is no legal right to return unless faulty.

Shops that allow returns do it as good will.

Okedoke, I have just been lucky in the past then to pick the shops who show good will, I'll give curry's a wide birth in future.:gag:

Yes you are quite correct - Currys have a returns policy which allows exactly that BUT in unused condition with all software still sealed.

Please advise how they can test the speakers without using it?

Hence it can't be returned.

Yet the OP should be allowed to return the laptop. Just because it's been opened doesn't mean it can't be resealed and sold again.

How can someone get the FULL idea of what a computer is like without taking it home and having a go with it? You certainly can't by testing it in the shop for 5 minutes with loads of background noise.

Okedoke, I have just been lucky in the past then to pick the shops who show good will, I'll give curry's a wide birth in future.:gag:

I think that's perhaps the answer! (but others are wary of accepting returns for "used" goods too).

Edited by pottedplant

I think you were right what you said earlier about different shops different policy's ect, but It has been known if you stand your ground even though the the shop is within it's rights they may just give in to get rid of you.

I think that's perhaps the answer! (but others are weary of accepting returns for "used" goods too).

Not Argos......I've known them take stuff back that wasn't even bought in their shop!.....not intentionally, of cause, but still.

Maybe the OP should take the laptop back to them!?

I can't believe I am going to defend Currys/Dixons/PCW because I hate the place but ...

If the return was within 24 hrs and the excuse was "sorry but I didn't realise there was no optical drive" then even though there would be no duty to refund I would be surprised if they didn't allow a swap for another model.

10 days though! That's more like a lengthy test drive to see if the buyer could live without a DVD drive, at the retailer's expense, before deciding that they couldn't. The wording of the OP even suggests that. I think it's unfair to expect the retailer to oblige.