Anyone got hedgehogs?

When I moved to our current house 12 years ago we had around 5 or 6 hedgehogs coming to the garden in the evening. We put out tinned dog food for them (meat, not fish based). Over the years this has dwindled away to practically none. Now I'm lucky to see one a couple of times a week. You could try a bit of dog food on an old plate for a few nights. You might of course get something else - foxes (as we do & I like that!), rats (I've *never* seen a rat come to the food) or occasionally a badger!!

Not being funny Irene as you are well respected on here, me included, but you should give cat food to hedgehogs not dog food as cats and hedgehogs are carnivores, dogs are omnivores

im in norton woodseats so not too far from op but christ we are over run by slugs and snails would love a hoggy to come nom them up

That was partly my reason for asking - though they are cute and I love wildlife and would love to see some around.

Was there a cull of hogs in Scotland a few years ago or did I dream it? Why didn't they just repopulate the areas in decline?

No - you didn't dream it. It was in the Outer Hebrides:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4406675.stm

That's a real shame as they could have brought them back to the mainland seeing as they're in short supply here.

Thanks. I've had a bit of a mooch and found this http://www.uhr.org.uk/ which is a programme that relocates hogs onto the mainline as they have an annual cull on the islands due to the hogs eating eggs from ground nesting birds and because the hogs are not native to the isles.

I shouldn't imagine they would bring them this far down, but if enough of us were to 'rehome' them, they might be willing to come to an arrangement?

There's a lot of slugs and snails in our garden as well, which is partly why I'd love to have hedgehogs, but I also just like wildlife, so it would be lovely to see some :(

Birds eat a lot of slugs and snails. I rarely use slug pellets but when I do use them I use them very sparingly. We find piles of empty snail shells where the birds have banged them against stones so they can get to the live snail flesh. Birds eat a lot of greefly too if you don't spray pesticides around the garden.

I know we have hedgehogs as they set our dog off barking like something demented. He has scared two to death by doing this.