St George flag dropped because it could offend Muslims

The inconvenient truth about the vast majority of this and similar stories, is that a very, very large number of Muslims really couldn't care less about the English people flying their flag.

I was watching a US TV show the other day and It dawned on me how often you see the US flag in Schools over there.

Maybe we should have the Union Jack flying in the assembly room of all Schools in the UK.

If it raises the standard of education simply because of its existence then yeh, pin one up. Other than that keep the things out. I certainly wouldn't want one of my children reciting some guff every morning with hand on heart and ******* with a young mind simply to indoctrinate a "military" agenda.

The inconvenient truth about the vast majority of this and similar stories, is that a very, very large number of Muslims really couldn't care less about the English people flying their flag.

We have ongoing agitation in Australia because the Oz flag has the Union Flag in the first quarter.

"This will offend our citizens of non-UK origin, and will prejudice Asian countries from trading with us" they say.

No evidence of this has been produced, and trade goes on.

Strangely, I've heard no adverse comment on the Hawaiian state flag, which has the Union Flag at its center (spelt that way because they are Americans, poor things)

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.

Harlan Ellison

The only Muslims the St George cross offends are the radicals and terrorists, and who gives a toss if it offends them.

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.

Harlan Ellison

'The only things known to be infinite are the Universe & human stupidity & I'm not sure about the Universe.'

Albert Einstein.

Will it change? Scotland have their own flag so i doubt they will request the blue to be removed.

I thought the Union flag represents Britain & the commonwealth?

Not just England, Scotland & Wales

no the Commonweath has its own flag. And the Union Jack does not give any indication that Wales or Northern Ireland is part of the Union. Just England and Scotland. The Union flag really just celebrates the Union of 1707 so it is really a valid question as to what will happen to the flag, if that union ends.

I guess it depends on how you class yourself.

English, British or European.

I regard myself as British; I have a British passport so prefer the Union flag to be used when representing me as a citizen.

England flags are only really seem to be used for football & right wing political protest. I guess thats why it gets bad press and most 'Brits' distance themselves from it.

Most Brits distance themselves from what, the flag or football, right wing politics?

I take it you have figures to back up your claim, Clown.

:)

We have ongoing agitation in Australia because the Oz flag has the Union Flag in the first quarter.

"This will offend our citizens of non-UK origin, and will prejudice Asian countries from trading with us" they say.

No evidence of this has been produced, and trade goes on.

Strangely, I've heard no adverse comment on the Hawaiian state flag, which has the Union Flag at its center (spelt that way because they are Americans, poor things)

I presume you and I came from the same basic source, where the letter z is pronounced zed, even in sensible Canada of the frozen North. Here in our benighted United States, we had the common sense to pronounce it zee, which follows the same as dee, tee, bee etc. If we had followed as you did then bee should have been bed, t would be ted. We also had the good sense to remove the letter U out of any word that didn't need it, changed the fifth of April to April 5, made sure that no French words got in uninvited by changing theatre to theater, pronounced theayter and not theowta, and as you say center, the right way.:):):) Edited by buck

Imagine if they tried to fly the South Yorkshire flag in Sheffield?

Surely somebody would write a letter to the star expressing offense. Old Ron perhaps.

For the last two or three world cups I have seen thousands of cars flying the flag.

I was under the impression that the reclamation of it from any right wing agenda has well and truly taken place.

The councillor is an <removed> and with a bit of luck the electorate will remember this when the next election comes around.

Edited by medusa
language!

For the last two or three world cups I have seen thousands of cars flying the flag.

I was under the impression that the reclamation of it from any right wing agenda has well and truly taken place.

The councillor is an <removed> and with a bit of luck the electorate will remember this when the next election comes around.

funnily enough i STILL see flags (looking the worse for wear) stuck out of windows etc round here............from the world cup lol

Edited by medusa
language!