Does God Exist?

Suggest an evolutionary pathway.

I don't understand the answer.

Zombie ants suggest an evolutionary pathway? How?

Neither. It is a question.

Okay, I'm happy to answer. :)

Science tells us that this planet is roughly 4 billion years old. Is that really long enough for life to have evolved from nothing up to the complexities that we have today?

Yes, yes it is long enough.

-----

We know the number of mutations required to get from one organism to another

Do we?

Share this information with us then please.

Evolution is more than mutation too, I've explained that. Genetic mutation is only one factor. Natural selection, food supply, disease, famine - all these things affect evolution. A species can make huge evolutionary advances in a very short space of time (bacteria and their resistance to anti-biotics being one example) while some species are virtually the same as they were thousands of years ago.

we know the rate of mutation

Do we?

Same as above though, mutation isn't the sole means of evolution.

If you have never experienced Gods love in your life ,then what you have described will always be a riddle.

Do you really honestly believe that every individual who is a believer that has experienced suffering (as we all have or will do at some stage) remains faithfull to a belief only out of fear,and that believers don't have those periods where they rage against God for the same reasons you do.

I don't understand why Jesus Christ had to die a horrible death on the cross either,but I believe he did,and and accept that there were reasons why without grasping a total understanding of it.

There's an interesting one, how does that 'love' tie in with the many many thousands of children who die before the age of 5 of disease and hunger? Their parents worshiping and praying to the same god that their child be saved from death.

Unfortunately it seems that love was being given to putting food on more wealthy tables, or maybe helping an athlete win a gold medal.

I guess there's just not enough love to go around for the starving children

Suggest an evolutionary pathway.

Zombie ants suggest an evolutionary pathway?

No, I am asking you to suggest an evolutionary pathway to how such a thing could evolve through natural selection.

Science tells us that this planet is roughly 4 billion years old. Is that really long enough for life to have evolved from nothing up to the complexities that we have today?

Yes, yes it is long enough.

Your answer is rooted in faith, and so is no better an answer than the theists who claim "yes, god exists".

We know the number of mutations required to get from one organism to another, we know the rate of mutation, we have a fair estimate of the number of organisms and the time it took.

Do we?

"We" being the species. I don't claim to personally the sum knowledge of mankind, but if you want to fund the research, I'll happily find out and do the sums...

But you are the one who has given an answer, so you presumably have already done this?

Evolution is more than mutation too, I've explained that. Genetic mutation is only one factor...

Mutation is what causes change. Natural selection operates on that change.

No, I am asking you to suggest an evolutionary pathway to how such a thing could evolve through natural selection.

Your answer is rooted in faith, and so is no better an answer than the theists who claim "yes, god exists".

"We" being the species. I don't claim to personally the sum knowledge of mankind, but if you want to fund the research, I'll happily find out and do the sums...

But you are the one who has given an answer, so you presumably have already done this?

Mutation is what causes change. Natural selection operates on that change.

I'm curious, what biology qualifications do you have, obviously the ones above degree level?

The same way all evolution occurs. This fungus adapted a niche where it could survive and procreate. Zombie ants are no stranger than athlete's foot or thrush.

The rest of your post is avoiding basic questions and nonsense. If you've got the magic numbers that prove God, stick em up. We'll consider them. Beyond that I enjoy your work into evolutionary denialism, but it's a fruitless task for you.

I am of the feeling that Jesus did exist ,but certainly was not the son of God by coming out of Mary who was a virgin . Unless they had in vitro fertilisation all that time ago , I really don't think that happened. I believe he could have been the leader of a cult back then & had his followers. And because the Romans didn't like what Jesus was saying ,they got rid of him .

There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.

Unfortunately I'm going on holiday in an hour and don't have time to respond but if this thread is still around when I get back I'll pick it apart for you.

While I don't believe in God I find arguments like yours basic to say the least, and you've already tripped yourself up on a couple of points. I think there's an 'atheist church' round here somewhere that you'd fit right into :suspect:

Yes i guess i am an Atheist so i guess i wont be going to a church.

Enjoy your holiday!

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 11:30 ----------

Though I have no concept of life after death I have no reason not to believe in an afterlife.

If you want to know what happens after death then its very similar to the feeling you had before you were born.

There's an interesting one, how does that 'love' tie in with the many many thousands of children who die before the age of 5 of disease and hunger? Their parents worshiping and praying to the same god that their child be saved from death.

Unfortunately it seems that love was being given to putting food on more wealthy tables, or maybe helping an athlete win a gold medal.

I guess there's just not enough love to go around for the starving children

Why do those many thousands of children die of starvation? ? Haven't enough resources been provided to feed the world? Could not human greed contribute to the unequal sharing of those resources?

Why do so many parents who have lost a child through disease, starvation or any other tragic situation, or indeed people who have lost anyone close in premature death remain steadfast in their belief? Perhaps that's because they believe that the person they have lost has continued in existence in in some other form of life, and that the God they believe in is supplying them with comfort, strength to carry on, and a belief that one day the full meaning, purpose of life and reason for their own existence will be revealed to them.

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 11:53 ----------

Yes i guess i am an Atheist so i guess i wont be going to a church.

Enjoy your holiday!

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 11:30 ----------

If you want to know what happens after death then its very similar to the feeling you had before you were born.

You never know you may be just the person the OP of this thread is looking for.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1135032