Crucible snooker - heaphones & session info?

Guest brownd95

I'm not sure if the commentary is broadcast on the radio? If so you may be able to bring your own radio and hook your own headphones to it.

Does anybody know the answer to this? I'm going to the afternoon session on Saturday 20th, and I'd much rather use my own radio if possible, with earphones, than pay for one which I won't use again. I'm sure my snug in-ear earphones will keep the sound in my ear and out of the auditorium better too.

Also, does anyone know what frequency it's broadcast on? Even roughly? I was lucky enough to go to the Chinese F1 grand prix last year and, cheekily, they were broadcasting the race commentary on about 78 FM even though their public FM band is roughly the same as ours. i.e. 'Normal' radios couldn't pick it up. However, I was able to download an FM radio app for my Android smartphone in which I was able to select a different FM band, and hence I was able to pick up the commentary. :D

Guest brownd95

Hi All.

How long does a snooker session last?

I have tickets for 10AM and 7PM but with one eye on public transport and parking costs etc just wondering how long each session would last.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi All.

I have tickets for 10AM and 7PM but with one eye on public transport and parking costs etc just wondering how long each session would last.

Thanks,

Dave

...hard to say , as regards who is playing , however most sessions (8 frames)are scheduled for 4 hours max .

Fortunately Terry Griffiths has retired !!!:hihi:

Hi All.

Thanks,

Dave

I've been in the Crucible well after mid night when attending an evening session.It depends on the state of play and the players involved.

Does anybody know the answer to this? I'm going to the afternoon session on Saturday 20th, and I'd much rather use my own radio if possible, with earphones, than pay for one which I won't use again. I'm sure my snug in-ear earphones will keep the sound in my ear and out of the auditorium better too.

Also, does anyone know what frequency it's broadcast on? Even roughly? I was lucky enough to go to the Chinese F1 grand prix last year and, cheekily, they were broadcasting the race commentary on about 78 FM even though their public FM band is roughly the same as ours. i.e. 'Normal' radios couldn't pick it up. However, I was able to download an FM radio app for my Android smartphone in which I was able to select a different FM band, and hence I was able to pick up the commentary. :D

To respond to my own post, I tried to use the FM app on my Android smartphone (the app is called Spirit Light for anyone who's interested) but, even switching to the 'Japan' FM band, I couldn't pick anything up.

Later I noticed on the floor a discarded box for one of the official earpieces you can buy. It seemed to indicate you'd need something which can receive from 60.0 MHz upwards, whichever band that's in.

However, whether the eagle eyed staff would allow you to use your own equipment, I don't know.

Having said all that, although I missed having the commentary, in hindsight I wasn't disappointed. It made it quite a different experience. The silence really adds to the atmosphere, especially at tense times in the frames. The lack of commentary also encourages you to follow the scoring better yourself, working out how many points are left on the table, when frame ball comes, how many snookers a player needs, etc.

Match

A match is split into eight frame sessions, the longer the match the more sessions, you pay more to watch the final sesion although its usually shorter. and in the final it may not even happen.

Headphones

Headphones cost around a fiver, they are the only electronic equipment you are allowed to have switched on in the arena.

You can use them again for other matches, and for the next year, and you can pick up a signal from as far as the brown bear.

Food

you can bring anything you want so long as it fits in your bag, but they have lots of food outlets inside.

Bags/coats

there is a free cloakroom too