Domestic chimney smoke - what's allowed?

Hi

Recently a nearby house has started using their open fire and there is a strong smell of smoke which sticks to washing, comes through open windows and even on clothes as we pass by. I'd like to know what is and isn't allowed before I have a friendly word with them but the Sheffield City Council website only seems to cover commercial premises.

The smoke is pale grey not disgusting looking and I know (hopefully) it won't be there in the summer, if we get one, but boy, does it stink of bonfires! Maybe a wood-burning stove? Are there any regs. about this?

Ta Duckegg

Under The Clean Air Act, it is an offence to emit "dark" smoke from a chimney within a Smoke Control Zone.

I believe virtually all of Sheffield is within such a zone.

http://www.care4air.org/smoke_control_map.html

What you describe does not appear to be "dark smoke" which needs to be darker that Level 2 on a Ringelmann Chart.

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/pls/xximages/docs/RingelmannChart.jpg

It is usually accepted that an amount of dark smoke may occur when lighting a fire, but guidelines suggest that acceptable levels are limited to around no more than 4 minutes continuous or 10 minutes per day.

If you regard the smell as a nuisance, it will need to be ongoing and you will need to be keeping a log.

Edited by cgksheff

Thanks for the reply. It's certainly not dark smoke but I will keep a check on how often it is. I don't want to spoil their fun and I'm quite jealous of the toasty fire - just wish they'd keep it to themselves!

Thanks Duckegg

Nearly all of sheffield is smokeless

Edited by allwednesday

Smokeless coal only in a smokeless zone. If you have a DEFRA approved stove you can also burn seasoned wood.

Smokeless coal only in a smokeless zone. If you have a DEFRA approved stove you can also burn seasoned wood.

You can burn what you like so long as you do not produce dark smoke.

The law, however, stops you from buying or selling the wrong fuels.

Edited by cgksheff

Hi

Recently a nearby house has started using their open fire and there is a strong smell of smoke which sticks to washing, comes through open windows and even on clothes as we pass by. I'd like to know what is and isn't allowed before I have a friendly word with them but the Sheffield City Council website only seems to cover commercial premises.

The smoke is pale grey not disgusting looking and I know (hopefully) it won't be there in the summer, if we get one, but boy, does it stink of bonfires! Maybe a wood-burning stove? Are there any regs. about this?

Ta Duckegg

Washing out - in this weather ??!! It'll be frozen solid!

As for open windows , I would be more worried about your heating bill than a bit of smoke.

speak to a company called http://www.clearviewstoves.com, they will/should give you all the info you need. some parts of sheffield can have wood burning stoves, dore and totley are allowed, my sister has one in totley. iknow someone who has dealt in them ''graham burgin conservatories''

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 13:50 ----------

http://www.care4air.org/smoke_control_map.html

As I understand it, from personal experience, you can have a wood burning stove anywhere in Sheffield, but in smoke control areas (most of Sheffield) you must have a DEFRA approved stove and be burning fuel of the correct cross sectional area and moisture content (i.e logs that are well seasoned and not too big) that the manufacturer specifies. Your neighbour should be complying with these regulations to keep within the law.

As I understand it, from personal experience, you can have a wood burning stove anywhere in Sheffield, but in smoke control areas (most of Sheffield) you must have a DEFRA approved stove and be burning fuel of the correct cross sectional area and moisture content (i.e logs that are well seasoned and not too big) that the manufacturer specifies. Your neighbour should be complying with these regulations to keep within the law.

You can have any old burner and just use smokeless fuels.

The guidelines are there to help people keep within the law, but all that is illegal within a smoke control zone is the production of dark smoke and the acquiring and selling of certain fuels.