Pet First Aid course anyone? Only £40!

Has anybody asked if twibstix would be able to host this? I'm sure the agility club has an indoor space too

My self and a friend would be interested have checked out the one on valley road and they have some dates for April and there on Sundays it is for 3hrs.

Thanks for all of your replies everyone. I would like to stick with CK9, Claire. I have msgd her with all of your queries and she has replied with more info and the course content, which is also on her FB page...

" I have insurance for you to work with my 2 assessed for temperament dogs - so you get to do real bandaging on a greyhound and a saluki! You will also have the resusci-puppy to practise CPR on.

I pride myself on quality of service for every client. A similar course is taught by many people for less but the course only lasts 3 hours and there is no real dog experience.

Just to add in that the certificate you recieve is certified by the CPD central regester and so for those people working with animals this is a recognised qualification."

Pet First Aid Course Syllabus:

1. Introduction to the course

2. The vet and your role in first aid

3. Keeping your pet safe in an emergency

4. Car Accidents

5. Pet Proofing your home

6. Communication and care of your pet

7. How pets show pain

8. Checking your pets health

9. Restraint of a pet in need and the use of a muzzle

10. Breathing and respiratory problems including choking

11. Dog CPR

12. Drowning

13. Shock

14. Broken bones

15. Spinal injury and moving an injured pet

16. Controlling bleeding

17. Dressings and bandages

18. Paw problems

19. Ears, eyes and mouth

20. Illnesses

21. Poisoning, bites and stings

22. Burns and temperature related problems

23. The older dog

24. Cats

25. Small animal care

26. Puppies and young animals

27. Travelling with your dog abroad

28. Pet first aid kits

29. Summary

So, I have asked Claire if Sunday 19th May would be free for her and am waiting for her reply, then I'll post to confirm a date and ask for people to confirm their attendance when the date is confirmed.

Sounds fab, particularly as it can count as CPD for me if it's a recognised qual - I am in - although due to give birth two weeks afterwards so may be subject to movement!

At the Meers Cattery we have a showroom that could accomodate 6 - 8 people.

WE would be happy to host subject to these numbers

This certificate also lasts for 3 years, too.

The earliest date Claire has is Saturday 11th May. She puts on two courses a day, one 9am - 1pm and one 2pm - 6pm.

Please can you PM/email me confirming if you would like to attend, and which time is best for you, thanks guys.

I hope that dates ok for you bogwoppit - not sure how youll get on with bending down doing cpr if you'll be about full term ;)

Hi everyone.

Apologies as new to forum so need more posts to reply directly.

Our Pet first aid course is designed to build on knowledge and skills, but really about building then having confidence in yourself and thus to do something positive for your pet when it really matters.

We cover CPR,Unconscious, Shock, Bleeding, Breaks, Burns, Pet Proofing, contacting vet and using whatever you have with you to best advantage.

Free downloadable course manual on completion and certificate.

Most of all though we tell you what the book says then talk reality but have fun doing it. Nice and relaxed.

Next course this sunday 24th March 2013, £30 pp

Martin

---------- Post added 20-03-2013 at 09:26 ----------

Just seen comment about certain issues affecting cpr training.

Most people should be able to do first aid training , even if almost full term, however care MUST be taken and any concerns at all you must stop immediately. Whether you do our course or not is irrelevant, but you should be able to do the cpr at a height other than on ground , ie on table or possibly chair which should reduce issues as far as possible.

Ultimately it is your choice and the trainer if they agree, should make all practicable adjustments to help you.

Martin

Hi Everyone.

Our next Pet first aid course is Sunday 14 April , 1000 start.

Our curriculum is pretty much same as other one posted on here so looks like our courses are very similar.

Whats really good is that people can now have an option of when, who with and where to train, and ultimately the most important thing is that more people are able to do the training which will be much more beneficial to our dogs .

I personally think everyone should attend first aid courses as part of schooling as it is really a life skill and also builds confidence.

anyway off my soapbox now !! lol.

Martin

H_Hounds, if you've got places to fill near the date, give me a nudge

Thanks Strix, I have spaces left but I still need to confirm the venue with Claire. I'm on it :D

Hi everyone.

Our pet first aid course is also CPD certified if you need that for business or your portfolio, but as dog owners or people looking after others dogs , mainly the thing is the understanding, skills and most importantly the self confidence to do something when it matters.

This course is also available online , but it is far better to do practical with an instructor as you can ask questions and practice .

Good luck with whoever or whichever course you do , as most importantly , you are providing the help our dogs need in an emergency or even the run of the mill stuff.

Can we also ask that everyone puts the VETS number into their mobile phone as they are always able to offer advice when it is needed.