Licence and seasons question??

im a little confused right, i now understand that you always should have a licence so when it runs out on 31st i need to buy a new one the day after even though the river season is closed incase i fish still waters that still require a licence like the canal ect?? now some one told me today on the don that if you fish on the fly rod that you can fish rivers in may on a game licence for trout.. well i didnt know they existed can anyone let me know what the real rules are and im trying to get into fly fishing,,lol and would i or will i ever need another licence if they exist plz help?

im a little confused right, i now understand that you always should have a licence so when it runs out on 31st i need to buy a new one the day after even though the river season is closed incase i fish still waters that still require a licence like the canal ect?? now some one told me today on the don that if you fish on the fly rod that you can fish rivers in may on a game licence for trout.. well i didnt know they existed can anyone let me know what the real rules are and im trying to get into fly fishing,,lol and would i or will i ever need another licence if they exist plz help?

You will need 2 licences 1 for still waters and river in season and a seperate one for salmon and non-migratory trout . Or you can get a licence which covers both but it is £72

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx

Edited by denlin

your normal rod licence covers you for non-migratory trout so you can fly fish

on the don without having to buy the more expensive licence which covers salmon,char

and sea trout. you can also fish with artificial lures during the close season (i have some little trout spinners which i fish on a light spinning rod).

So interesting, the deal with fishing for specific types of fish in closed season as lots of them take the same baits/lures/flies.

For example, I was wondering if to go non mig trout fishing on the 25th of march (say).... using a trout spinner.... wouldn't it turn up chub and perch too? and if it did, must I stop?

I'm guessing if the intention isn't there, your OK, presuming the way you are tackled up isn't an obvious attempt at curbing the closed season (something that most will agree is very important, and good for anglers as well as the fish).

if coarse and game fish are in the same river there will be 'accidental captures'. how many anglers fishing the don yesterday realised that any trout they caught were actually

out of season? as long as you are fishing permitted methods you will not be prosecuted for catching fish out of season.

when the close season applied to all waters i fished trout waters and used to catch the occasional roach at morehall on the fly, some of which were big fish.

Yes Charlie you could fish places like the Flask & Underbank from April the first for Trout when close season covered all waters. In fact it was the Yorkshire rivers as well so long as they held Trout using worm or lures.

Forget about the £72 that's to include Salmon.

As for the rules regarding rod licences google the EA they will tell you everything relevant to your type of fishing.

Edited by sheff 13
addition

If you're going to get a licence anyway you may as well get it at the beginning of April. Whenever you get it, it runs out on the following 31st March. The usual coarse licence (£27) covers you for fishing all-year round so long as you are not fishing in water affected by the closed season (mainly rivers) and are not fishing for salmon or migratory trout.