Save Woodthorpe Children's Centre

After attending a parents meeting yesterday at Woodthorpe Sure Start, we are putting a proposal together to stop the centre from closing as decided in the council's proposals. We are doing everything we can to stop this from happening, there will be another meeting next Tuesday 12th March at 6pm and would like as many people as possible to attend. Whether you have children attending, planning to attend, live in the area or would just like to come and support us, it would really be appreciated.

If you wish to contact me for further details, please feel free to message me. Thank you for your support

Amanda Royal

After attending a parents meeting yesterday at Woodthorpe Sure Start, we are putting a proposal together to stop the centre from closing as decided in the council's proposals.

Does the proposal involve the centre taking in more money than it spends?

the problem is that funding has been cut to zero! the centre is run as a charity so has to spend all their available funds or give them back at year end. they are not allowed to build up reserves of money so have no cash to fall back on.

the closure of this centre will impact on the lives of 60 children and their families, resulting in some parents having to give up work, (and therefore claim benefits) or find alternative child care, (which it seems would be lower quality, less flexible or more expensive, or a combination of the three).

the logic of cutting funding seems ludicrous the further you look into the coucils proposed plans to help parents find alternatives. e.g. redeploying existing staff into roles they would be paid more for!

I am a parent who will be affected by the closure of Woodthorpe. We live locally and use the childcare facilities to enable us to work.

Where are these 60 children going to go at such short notice? ..... How many parents will have to give up work, so we can look after these children who have nowhere to go locally?

I am a parent who will be affected by the closure of Woodthorpe. We live locally and use the childcare facilities to enable us to work. Where are these 60 children going to go at such short notice?

We have the same problem with the Little Green House nursery at Lowedges.

Dont the parents get child tax credits and child care costs?

Well I can't speak for everyone but I don't, me and my husband both work full time and don't qualify so pay for our daughter to attend.

I don't really think that's the issue here, our children love the centre and at such a small age it means something to them, it's the first thing my little girl says to me in the morning 'go creche'. The development in her is truly amazing since she started to attend and she has made many friends. The staff are really amazing despite getting paid such low wages and we couldn't ask for more support.

What the council are doing is really wrong, these children will have nowhere to go? and they have left us with little time to sort this out despite on several occasions saying this wouldn't happen. We need people to support us as much as they can.

Every child at 3 gets 15hrs of childcare funded by central Government. Children of 2 are about to be given funding but only a few places in the city can provide this, one of which is out local Nursery which is due to close!

I'm not sure what you're implying with your question?

The main issue most people have is that these nurseries are being closed with only a few weeks notice in the middle of the school year so it makes it very difficult to make alternative arrangements and so is likely to cause problems with work etc.

Our nursery, the Little Green House, has enough children attending to make it financially viable but the council will not allow the staff to take over the nursery and run it themselves.

A cynic might say that the council are happy to let the nurseries close so they can try to blame the 'evil' government and by extension the local Liberal Party in the hopes of scoring a few cheap points for the upcoming council elections.

Archived