Average speed on your commute to work.

Regularly travel from Hillsborough to Gleadless, 8 miles leaving around 4.00pm.

Tonight was a good run averaging 18mph. On a bad night or a few minutes later and you can half that to 9mph!!!!!!!!!!

The bad design of roads must be costing industry billions.

Two and a half miles to work. Can take as little as about eight minutes but is more likely 15 to 20 minutes. That's a speedy 10 mph (for 15 minutes).

I usually walk though - 35 minutes. That's over 4 miles per hour - downhill.

I know you said no cycling, but I'm putting mine anyway :) I worked out my speed as an average of 10.33MPH this morning. It would have been faster if I hadn't got stuck in traffic and behind a bus :(

approximately 7.6 mph in the car.

(3.5 mph walking, 12mph cycling)

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 18:34 ----------

for clarity, my 3 AVS's are to arrive at work at the same time.

if I set off at the earliest time (as for walking) car is then fastest at about 15mph

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

32 miles Sheffield to Huddersfield.

Going early 42mph, coming home at 5pm 26mph.

31 miles S8 to Huddersfield:

55 mins leaving at 6.30am - 34mph

around 1.5hours to return - 21mph leaving at around 4.30pm :(

S7 to j1 m18, 15 miles regularly takes 1 hour, includes the parkway, m1 and M18

What more evidence do you need - for local journeys, if you can, get/use a bicycle! Not only are you reducing pollution and pressure on the road network, but it's quicker, improves your health, and it's FREE (if you've got a bike and maintain it reasonably).

It currently takes me one second to get to work from my bed. It can take up to a minute if I dawdle. It used to take me five minutes on foot in my other job but I had to give that up.

S35 to Doncaster Lakeside 24 mile journey usually takes around 25-30 minutes average speed of 53.3mph. Will be less journey time and higher average speed once the massive roadworks between the M18 and Lakeside are all done with next month and i don't have a 1.5 mile detour to do the last 200 yards of my commute into work!!! :D

I do like travelling to and from work before and after everyone else does. :D

Cheers

Dave.

What more evidence do you need - for local journeys, if you can, get/use a bicycle! Not only are you reducing pollution and pressure on the road network, but it's quicker, improves your health, and it's FREE (if you've got a bike and maintain it reasonably).

I was wondering about the pollution issue yesterday when I saw a long stream of cars all having to break along the A61 and trundle at 15 mph because they couldn't get past a cyclist.

Whilst the cyclist himself maybe directly saving on pollution, how much extra pollution is being created due to cars having to stop/start, trundle along and brake due to bicycles?

Regards

Doom