New Sainsburys in Bradway?

At yesterday's Planning Committee meeting Sainsbury's application was declined. Not on traffic grounds, the biggest grouse of local residents, but to retain a building of character.

I have to say I am relieved. I understand what you are saying in that The Bradway has no potential as a pub in today's market, but it's also a real shame to see mediocre utility buildings with heavy corporate branding spreading everywhere.

I grew up in Bradway very close to that pub and the shops at the top of Twentywell. I've known those shops since I was 7 years old, which is 50 years now. I have no doubt they are going one day soon, but I applaud the owners of those shops for hanging in and bringing a level of service that is diminishing quickly in modern Britain.

I just want to enjoy the vestiges of old Bradway a little longer before its demise into a characterless franchise wasteland. Once it is gone it is gone, so please let's not hurry it along any faster than we have to.

building of character??, thats got to be the weakest excuse to turn down a planning application ever, bet thats going to be an easy appeal decision!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

building of character??, thats got to be the weakest excuse to turn down a planning application ever, bet thats going to be an easy appeal decision!!!

And as the planning officer's report recommended approval it's no surprise that Sainsbury's are indeed appealing. Apparently in supporting their application at the planning committee meeting they produced in their defence examples of pubs they'd integrated into other Sainsbury's Local stores. They could do the same in Bradway but it would cost too much to resettle Coral's and incorporate their site. It might even be a better shop, but why spend more than they have to? Their appeal implicitly threatens the council with costs. Councillors have delayed them a few months. Bully boy tactics, but they'll probably get what they're asking for.

Edited by 1978

Can't see it as being bully boy tactics just realistic if you're being messed around you should in occur the extra costs@

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

And as the planning officer's report recommended approval it's no surprise that Sainsbury's are indeed appealing. Apparently in supporting their application at the planning committee meeting they produced in their defence examples of pubs they'd integrated into other Sainsbury's Local stores. They could do the same in Bradway but it would cost too much to resettle Coral's and incorporate their site. It might even be a better shop, but why spend more than they have to? Their appeal implicitly threatens the council with costs. Councillors have delayed them a few months. Bully boy tactics, but they'll probably get what they're asking for.

planning approved it and yet scc still turned it down??, are they trying to shut sheffield for business??, this is getting stupid now, im sorry but all you labour supporters in sheffield should be ashamed for voting in these fools who have no idea how to run a brewery, never mind a city

Sheffield is not big enough for all the sainsburys and tescos we have. Its a joke.

Sheffield is not big enough for all the sainsburys and tescos we have. Its a joke.

and how many are there in sheffield and how many people does each 1 serve?, sweeping statements you make, make you look very silly unless you are prepared to back them up with stats

Well work has started seen all cabins and workmen this morning so definitely going to be some sort of metro supermarket

They are demolishing the pub and replacing it with a Sainsburys Local.

Well work has started seen all cabins and workmen this morning so definitely going to be some sort of metro supermarket

Demolition will commence as soon as the building has been stripped of all internal fittings of any value, probably next week - if not sooner! Their public position is that the store will be open by Autumn 2014, although their contractors might be able to have it ready a little earlier?

Sainsbury's withdrew their appeal against the original refusal of planning permission after a revised application was successful. The new plan is outwardly of a little more character, but is the same size and position as the original application. Less bland, would sum up the changes.

You'll find all the details here; http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MR3YUKNYFY000

This morning the pub was no longer boarded up but a lot of bit strewn all over!

Be a shame to see it go, but it'll be nice to have a Sainsbury's there to be fair.