PC keeps "freezing"

wassamadda1

My computer keeps freezing for approx 5 mins at a time (as in it won't do anything before someone enters a sarcastic comment!).

No particular pattern as to when it happens and at the moment it's happening when internet browsing as that's all I use it for.

It's running Windows 8 at the moment but it did the same thing when it had the previous system installed which I believe was a basic Vista.

Help!!

Edited by wassamadda1

Could be a shortage of ram, how much is it running. ?

Could also be background programmes that need turning off.

Clearly, I aint a computer pro, but I'm told that the RAM has been checked and found to be OK and as far as I'm aware I'm not running any background programmes.

Have you checked performance in the task manager (Not sure if you have this on Win8) but worth checking if your memory and processor are under extreme loads, it might be that your pc isn't capable of running win8?

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 21:25 ----------

Also, again, not sure of win8 but if relevant...open run command and type 'msconfig', go through your startup processes and untick anything you don't need, do the same with service (Tick hide all microsoft services first). This will stop a lot of background services from running, but will require a restart.

Again, somebody will be along shortly to tell me that windows 8 doesn't have this feature...

No particular pattern as to when it happens and at the moment it's happening when internet browsing as that's all I use it for.

It's running Windows 8 at the moment but it did the same thing when it had the previous system installed which I believe was a basic Vista.

Help!!

What are the full specs of your computer ?