Church weddings

Hi we are getting married at the end of this year and needing to no of any cheep churches in woodseats green hill Norton or mill houses area

We go to church when we can but both work most Sundays we have been through a bad few years and don't have much money so just a small buffet in a pub after

At the moment out local church has told us it's going to cost about 500 pounds just for the church but don't have that sort of money

Anyone no of any churches that don't cost that much ?

The price is set by the governing body of the CoE rather than the church itself, so they will all be the same.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 15:11 ----------

Info on everything church wedding related here

http://www.churchofengland.org/weddings-baptisms-funerals/weddings.aspx

Good luck and congratulations x

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 15:16 ----------

Also, keep in mind that it doesn't all have to be paid at once. I paid a deposit of £40 to book the date, and paid what I could, when I could, and the full balance didn't have to be paid until 7 days before the wedding.

We had a Cathedral wedding and the only cost to us was for the licence because we were so skint.

The Monsigneur...God bless him realised our commitment... at this time he was in the minority!

The flowers were there from the previous wedding.

The organist was my old music teacher,

The reception was laid on by our friends and the landlady of our favourite pub,

The wedding car was my mate's father's Renault 5.

We've now been married over 30 years.

So the moral of the story is persevere!

If it could be done thirty years ago, I can't see why it can't be done now!

I'm sure you'd be willing to make a donation of some sort!

My son's recent church wedding was expensive and this has now put my daughter off having a church wedding. Sometimes our church's shoot themselves in the foot over money.

Remind them of this:-

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".

Go and speak to the people at your local Church. If you can't afford to put £10 a week away see if they will do it cheaper for you if you pay a smaller fee each week. Perhaps you could offer to do some fundraising for them in return for a cheaper wedding fee?

You can get on line donation sites set up now. If people donate direct to the Church you may be able to fundraise like this. If I knew funds were going direct to a Church in return for them doing a wedding for free of cheaper for someone I would be willing to donate a couple of pounds. I don't know how you set these on line donation sites up.

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 19:03 ----------

I haven't read the rules for using this site but here is the link for you to have a read. The Church may agree to do your wedding if the target reaches over the £500.

http://www.justgiving.com/en/fundraising?utm_source=PPC_FR_FR-WEBSITE_BR_1187&gclid=CN-8o8WN9bQCFW_KtAod0H8AQA

Try Meadowhead Christian Fellowship on the Jordanthorpe Centre.

Hi we are getting married at the end of this year and needing to no of any cheep churches in woodseats green hill Norton or mill houses area

We go to church when we can but both work most Sundays we have been through a bad few years and don't have much money so just a small buffet in a pub after

At the moment out local church has told us it's going to cost about 500 pounds just for the church but don't have that sort of money

Anyone no of any churches that don't cost that much ?

We paid £550 for ours, which seemed about average. That included extras such as choir, organist, bells and photography (the cost of being allowed to have a photographer present, not the cost of the photographer himself).

Remember if you do find a church outside of your parish you will need to qualify in order to have your wedding there.

http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/youre-welcome/more-churches-to-choose-from.aspx

jb

Edited by barleycorn

Hello to all...

Does anyone know how much it costs to get married at St Marie's Catholic Cathedral in Sheffield City Centre? It's the one on Norfolk Row, not Sheffield Cathedral)

Thanks

You are only able to get married in certain churches anyway i.e. it has to be your parish church or there has to be a connection such as your parents married there or you lived in that parish for a certain number of years etc. Church fees can be quite expensive - there is a certain amount they ask for but some churches add to that. Some churches will just ask for a donation. You really need to speak to your local church and find out the rules and costs involved and explain the situation. xxx

You are only able to get married in certain churches anyway i.e. it has to be your parish church or there has to be a connection such as your parents married there or you lived in that parish for a certain number of years etc. Church fees can be quite expensive - there is a certain amount they ask for but some churches add to that. Some churches will just ask for a donation. You really need to speak to your local church and find out the rules and costs involved and explain the situation. xxx

You used to be able to get round that by staying in the parish for a certain number of weeks. I know its not always possible for people to do that and I have no idea how they check up if you are actually staying there on a temporary basis.

They changed the laws regarding church weddings back in 2010 to make it easier for people so there are options now. I got married in 2009 and had to attend the church for 9 months before the wedding as it wasn't in our parish and no connection ( not one that could be used anyway ). http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/youre-welcome/more-churches-to-choose-from.aspx

This is for church of England - catholic churches may be different I'm not sure.

xx