Sheffield Takeaways Don't Help Themselves

I'm pretty shocked at the difficulty of ordering a takeaway in Sheffield.

I just fancied ordering a Chinese meal to be delivered so logged onto the interweb trying to find a menu. Most takeaways don't seem to have a menu online. When I finally found one that did, the memu was too big for the screen and the prices were invisible making it impossible to work out if I was at the £20 for free delivery.

Eventually I gave up at went to Just Eat, but you have to order online. So after making my selections I needed to surf again and actually found the phone number on Sheffield Forum because it wasn't listed elsewhere.

There seems to be a takeaway on every street corner. They certainly outnumber pubs by several to one. With all that competition why don't they make the effort to get an edge. Not everyone can be bothered driving down to a takeaway to pick up a menu so that they can go back home to order a meal for home delivery.

On the other hand, thinking about it I am more shocked at the quality of food that comes from chinese takeaways recently. It's really hard to find one that totally impresses and doesn't put you off meat for life.

Monday mornings at work frequently involve "I swear I'm never ordering a chinese again" tales.... but we still do.

On the other hand, thinking about it I am more shocked at the quality of food that comes from chinese takeaways recently. It's really hard to find one that totally impresses and doesn't put you off meat for life.

Monday mornings at work frequently involve "I swear I'm never ordering a chinese again" tales.... but we still do.

I love the flavour of Chinese takeaway food. It's yummy...but that stuff they call chicken, well what the hell is it? All twisted and misshaped. The beef is better and the pork. Prawns you are pretty safe with but I'd be more tempted just to go for the veggie options in future.

Plus, I buy free range chicken when I'm in supermarkets so why the hell am I buying that c-ap from takeaways?

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

You can cook a decent Chinese in minutes so why spend £££s on dubious food from dirty kitchens?Chinese food is notorious for superfluous additives such as MSC.

Totally! You can make a cracking dish with a bit of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar and stock and vary the other main ingredients like chili flakes and tomato paste. Get creative.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 19:29 ----------

I love the flavour of Chinese takeaway food. It's yummy...but that stuff they call chicken, well what the hell is it? All twisted and misshaped. The beef is better and the pork. Prawns you are pretty safe with but I'd be more tempted just to go for the veggie options in future.

Plus, I buy free range chicken when I'm in supermarkets so why the hell am I buying that c-ap from takeaways?

I think it goes a bit warped because they broil or boil it or whatever. Not too sure, try not to think about it too much. I do love the pork with the chinese marinade, that's something I've never attempted at home though.

The crispy shredded beef and chicken makes me laugh from some places because it ends up just like hollow crispy batter - yeah well worth £4.50!!