Train sheds millhouses

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/3587630-40-years-of-sheffield-power-signal-box

Have a look at this book on Blurb written by myself and two colleagues. The first section of the book covers the line from Chesterfield into Sheffield Midland, you can preview the whole book without having to buy, lots of then and now pics.

worked in 2 boxes in this book and visited many more, a great book

Many thanks johnme it was a very interesting project.

One of you Anoracks out there will answer this. Whilst stood spotting on the Archer Rd steps in the evening we looked forward to the southbound ' Scottish Goods ' Did this train of wagons originate from Scotland ? Which direction did it approach Sheffield from ? If it came through Rotherham, then surely it would have taken the ' Old Road ' route, so presume it came from the Barnsley direction and prior to that did it come through Leeds or Huddersfield ?

First one to answer correctly wins a pencil and a notepad !

Can anyone tell me when the Totley Tunnel closed?

Totley tunnel hasn't closed, its the route Manchester trains use from Sheffield.

One of you Anoracks out there will answer this. Whilst stood spotting on the Archer Rd steps in the evening we looked forward to the southbound ' Scottish Goods ' Did this train of wagons originate from Scotland ? Which direction did it approach Sheffield from ? If it came through Rotherham, then surely it would have taken the ' Old Road ' route, so presume it came from the Barnsley direction and prior to that did it come through Leeds or Huddersfield ?

First one to answer correctly wins a pencil and a notepad !

I know that a nightly steam-hauled freight originated at Saltley or Washwood Heath and ran to Carlisle via the Settle and Carlisle route,calling at Sheffield Midland for water. Southbound it took the "Old Road" instead of calling at Sheffield. It's final destination was Glasgow with Saltley crew lodging at Carlisle.I think the route north from Sheffield was Rotherham and then to Royston or Normanton and by-passing Leeds at maybe Altofts Junction. I read a book about Saltley and the details were in it. Latterly the train was hauled by a 9F,but Black Fives were also used. Sorry,rambling on a bit................:rolleyes:

I notice 45594 "Bhopal" has been mentioned and I'm almost certain it was on the front of the train that took me and the wife to London from Sheffield on honeymoon in Dec 1962.Also mentioned earlier was "Patriot" 45509 "Derbyshire Yeomanry" which was a regular on the Peak Line from Derby to Manchester.When I was a kid I had friends who lived near Great Longstone and many happy hours were spent spotting there,especially the endless goods trains which were banked from Rowsley.

Aye,happy days.

Chris

Edited by Manxdeedah

...I notice 45594 "Bhopal" has been mentioned and I'm almost certain it was on the front of the train that took me and the wife to London from Sheffield on honeymoon in Dec 1962.Also mentioned earlier was "Patriot" 45509 "Derbyshire Yeomanry" which was a regular on the Peak Line from Derby to Manchester. When I was a kid I had friends who lived near Great Longstone and many happy hours were spent spotting there...
Hi Chris - according to the jubilees.co.uk site, 45594 "Bhopal" was in storage at Darnall from October 1962 to June 1963 and was officially withdrawn in December 1962 (see here) though it might perhaps have been fired up if there were a shortage of motive power. In the 1950s it was a regular loco on fast passenger trains out of Sheffield, being allocated to Millhouses. Yes - the Peak line was great for seeing locos. such as Patriots and Scots, which hardly ever came through Sheffield until after about 1960 when they began to be displaced from mainline duties. Happy days indeed!.:)

Hi Chris - according to the jubilees.co.uk site, 45594 "Bhopal" was in storage at Darnall from October 1962 to June 1963 and was officially withdrawn in December 1962 (see here) though it might perhaps have been fired up if there were a shortage of motive power. In the 1950s it was a regular loco on fast passenger trains out of Sheffield, being allocated to Millhouses. Yes - the Peak line was great for seeing locos. such as Patriots and Scots, which hardly ever came through Sheffield until after about 1960 when they began to be displaced from mainline duties. Happy days indeed!.:)

Thanks for that Hillsbro,I wasn't certain about the motive power being Bhopal but I seem to recall it was either a similar name or one of the Indian states. I suppose I could look at the shed allocations which could jog my memory.I was more interested in the honeymoon than a 5XP:hihi: I do know it was a Millhouses crew because my wife's uncle who went to see us off knew the fireman who lived I believe on the Woodthorpe Estate.

The Peak Line was great,Manchester-St.Pancras and Nottingham-Liverpool boards on the carriages and I also remember either one or two diesel units,I think the number(s) were 10001 and 10002 which ran from Derby to Manchester on trial in the very early 50s. They weren't the Fell locos with the long bonnets though.

Chris

I think the number(s) were 10001 and 10002 which ran from Derby to Manchester on trial in the very early 50s....
Yes - these were the first British mainline diesels, built by the L.M.S. at Derby Works, and they often worked the Peak line in the 1950s. They also sometimes double-headed the Royal Scot, on one occasion easily pulling 17-coaches over Shap etc. I never saw either of these but I do remember seeing my first mainline diesel at Matlock Bath in 1958 - it was D8401 running light. Memories!

Apart from the odd diesel shunter, I don't think diesels ever put in an appearance at Millhouses shed, but does anyone know different?

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 13:46 ----------

Hello hillsbro,

Growing up close to Victoria Station, I was more of an LNER person (Green Blood and all that) so I only had a passing-interest in what might be happening to the "other lot" across-town. I did however make my one-and-only sighting of an LMS Garratt on the Hope Valley line.

It was a Saturday afternoon soon after the war and we were on the section of road between Hope and Edale, where the road and rail track are side-by-side. It was at the head of a long goods train heading slowly West so we were able to overtake it.

I know the LNER only had one Garratt but no idea how many the LMS had.

Regards

Edited by Falls

Hi Falls - you were lucky to see an LMS Garratt in service; they had all been withdrawn by 1958 when I would have been ten years old. They were rarely seen in Sheffield though they often hauled heavy coal trains on the Hope Valley line. There were 33 LMS Garratts; they were allocated to Toton and Hasland sheds according to my 1955 book. Here is a photo of the LNER Garratt, used for heavy coal trains on the Worsborough incline on the Wath-Penistone line. It was made redundant with the 1954 electrification, when EM1 electrics working in pairs pulled these trains.

Hi Falls - you were lucky to see an LMS Garratt in service; they had all been withdrawn by 1958 when I would have been ten years old. They were rarely seen in Sheffield though they often hauled heavy coal trains on the Hope Valley line. There were 33 LMS Garratts; they were allocated to Toton and Hasland sheds according to my 1955 book. Here is a photo of the LNER Garratt, used for heavy coal trains on the Worsborough incline on the Wath-Penistone line. It was made redundant with the 1954 electrification, when EM1 electrics working in pairs pulled these trains.

Hello,

Many thanks for the photos and description. I couldn't remember what the train I saw was carrying but it was most likely coal, as you suggested.

Best Regards