Train sheds millhouses

i didnt know any of the british rail people...i was working sub contract to a company called ackroyd and abbott who converted the sheds to a new workshop....i used to to go home every night covered in soot ...the engines had been there donkeys years

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 23:11 ----------

sad to know ...wasnt there a river running round the back if i remember right

Yes there was and it is still there it was a bit stinky then we would still swim in though we had a Tarzan swing there one of the mates broke his arm there one day swinging off it.

i didnt know any of the british rail people...i was working sub contract to a company called ackroyd and abbott who converted the sheds to a new workshop....i used to to go home every night covered in soot ...the engines had been there donkeys years

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 23:11 ----------

sad to know ...wasnt there a river running round the back if i remember right

That river that runs around the back is indeed the river Sheaf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Sheaf

...had a look on google earth, cant believe how its changed...
Yes, such a shame. I wonder if the site will be developed. Useful piece of land, I'd have thought.

Yes, such a shame. I wonder if the site will be developed. Useful piece of land, I'd have thought.

That picture is what used to be Gylees the train sheds I can remember used to start where you can see the car park at the back of the sheds, not sure if that part was once part of the railway set up but I can remember seeing people and machines at the back of that shed I once looked in there when the door was open and there was loads of machines and blokes working away it looked a real sweat shop.

...the train sheds I can remember used to start where you can see the car park at the back of the sheds...

No - sorry - the engine shed was towards the bottom of Hillsbro's photo (the part with the light-coloured roof). The shed building was enlarged in two directions after it became Guylees/Jacobs. The small, oblong brick building near the very bottom of the photo (with the bricked up door and window) was part of the original engine shed.

No - sorry - the engine shed was towards the bottom of Hillsbro's photo (the part with the light-coloured roof). The shed building was enlarged in two directions after it became Guylees/Jacobs. The small, oblong brick building near the very bottom of the photo (with the bricked up door and window) was part of the original engine shed.

I was there about 1971/3 time probably a long time after it was a train shed I probably only saw a bit of it but I do remember further back from the shed shown in that picture was a lot more one part looked as though it was used for loading coal into the trains,my Granddad took me there once years after he had retired he still had a key for the gate at the top of Archer road and we walked down the path he was a bit tearful as we walked along saying look at this lot I worked here for years and look at it now I was about 15 at the time I can still see his face to this day

I often pass where the steps down to the shed were on Archer Road and think of the hours I spent there with book and pencil. I laugh when I think that I even went there on a scorching hot summers day in the summer holidays, when I should have been in Millhouses Park swimming in the baths.

Jubillee's, Black 5's, 8f's, Compounds, Royal Scots at one time also 9f's, plus a variety of other classes of engine. Happy Days !

This 1960 map shows the location of the old engine shed without the later additions. It was in the angle of the river, just across from Troutbeck Road - a new bridge was built to allow vehicle access. The map also shows that the shed yard extended further towards Millhouses & Ecclesall station, with the coaling plant that Shogun mentioned (the small oblong below the 'S' in Sheaf) and more sidings. Banker is quite correct - the small brick building was part of the original depot.

This 1960 map shows the location of the old engine shed without the later additions. It was in the angle of the river, just across from Troutbeck Road - a new bridge was built to allow vehicle access. The map also shows that the shed yard extended further towards Millhouses & Ecclesall station, with the coaling plant that Shogun mentioned (the small oblong below the 'S' in Sheaf) and more sidings. Banker is quite correct - the small brick building was part of the original depot.

Granddad said he started working there in the coal shed just after the first world war and worked his way up to be a train driver, he was working as a shunter and freight train driver when he finally retired he got a silver tea service and gold watch for all his years working, he lived to be 90 years old and past away around 1986 time

Hi Shogun - yes, that's how it was done in the old LMS days and earlier; you started as a cleaner/labourer etc. and worked your way up. It took a long time to become a driver, and this was after several years as a fireman (hard work - and skill was needed as well). I can imagine your grandad being tearful when he re-visted the place where he had worked for so long. I don't know if you've researched your family tree but if not, and if it's of interest, PM me your grandad's name, approx. dates of birth, death etc. and I'll be please to do what I can (no charge!)

...Jubillee's, Black 5's, 8f's, Compounds, Royal Scots at one time also 9f's, plus a variety of other classes of engine. Happy Days !
Happy Days indeed - Runningman. I saw the occasional 9F at Millhouses - quite a turn up for the book. I remember a very fast run from Chesterfield behind 45594 "Bhopal" - a Millhouses loco. Memories!

Hi Shogun - yes, that's how it was done in the old LMS days and earlier; you started as a cleaner/labourer etc. and worked your way up. It took a long time to become a driver, and this was after several years as a fireman (hard work - and skill was needed as well). I can imagine your grandad being tearful when he re-visted the place where he had worked for so long. I don't know if you've researched your family tree but if not, and if it's of interest, PM me your grandad's name, approx. dates of birth, death etc. and I'll be please to do what I can (no charge!)Happy Days indeed - Runningman. I saw the occasional 9F at Millhouses - quite a turn up for the book. I remember a very fast run from Chesterfield behind 45594 "Bhopal" - a Millhouses loco. Memories!

Thanks for that my Granddad was a fascinating old fellow,I was always enthralled with his stories,he started his working life as cobbler and was a horse mounted military police man during the first world war,to be honest I haven't done much research on that side of the family I will PM you it will be interesting to know a bit more about him.

ive always had a fascination for railway steam trains too when i was about 11 years old . we used to bike it to doncaster and sit on the bridge steps at st sepulchre gate to see the " streaks " on the east coast line..walk to the plant works whefe sometimes some kindly railway bloke would let us stand on the footplate...now i bike it on the monsal trail on what was the manchester to derby line...